truckin88

Motor Rebuild in Hudson Valley NY

truckin88

Guys,

Who can rebuild a Kohler Magnum for me in the Hudson Valley area?

Thanks,
Will

stevebo

Go see your boys at the Toro dealer near you...

AMC RULES
:angry-nono:  If it's Sherwoods in Newburgh...
don't forget your checkbook.   
:roll:

That is his place....

Aldon

There has to be a reputable small engine repair place somewhere in Hudson Valley.

I tagged this thread to follow it as rebuilding is something I personally want to take on but may also pay for that service if necessary to expeditiously get an engine ready.

What may seem pricey may not when considering a shops overhead. Insurance, wages, business location mortgage or rent, utilities, insurance, taxes ie terrorist and compensation, and the proprietor who puts up with risks of running business should also make some amount of profit.

It seems reasonable to to me to expect some labor hours (how many hours should be expected for a rebuild barring problems?) of work and rates of 50-70 per hour. while seemingly exhorbinant are not out of whack when considering overhead.

And add in parts.

I guess the bolder question above as well as a reputable small engine shop in the valley would be helpful to me. Hopefully this does not hijack truckin88's purposes.

truckin88

There are 3 right near me. Sherwoods which is super pricey and he really doesn't care about old stuff, Newburgh power who are quirky but decent have tons of NOS wheel horse parts...and majestic hardware who I forgot own majestic gage, I will give them a call.

• Like 1

stevebo

Your boys Will.... 

squonk

I don't own a shop but here's the problem. Any place that overhauls an engine has to GUARENTEE it. Most shops don't have a complete machine shop so they send out the block,crank ect to be checked. The machine shop has to GUARENTEE it. So it's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!! We don't want to pay it. Many of us here and you have all seen the posts, open an engine, look at the bore -looks good and throw in some rings and maybe new valves and put it back together and it runs and we're happy and saved some money.

The reality is, we don't really know how worn that engine is. Example:

I bought a C-160 non runner a couple of years ago. It had carb issues so the guy parked it. I wanted to rebuild the motor as a spare for my current 160. I opened it up  and things looked good. I took it to a friend of mine who builds kart engines for an opinion. He said the bore was out of round and needed boring and the crank was out of round and was all ready .010 undersized. Rod had numerous cracks which showed up on dye. He called a friend of his that does his machine work. I brought everything to him to double check. Crank couldn't be turned again. And bore was near limits and may need to be sleeved. Total estimate with machine work and parts was $700! That's not including gaskets or any reassembly labor.

Remember this was a motor that to the naked eye of a guy that has been a mechanic for 30 yrs. looked good! 

• Like 2

DennisThornton

I don't own a shop but here's the problem. Any place that overhauls an engine has to GUARENTEE it. Most shops don't have a complete machine shop so they send out the block,crank ect to be checked. The machine shop has to GUARENTEE it. So it's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!! We don't want to pay it. Many of us here and you have all seen the posts, open an engine, look at the bore -looks good and throw in some rings and maybe new valves and put it back together and it runs and we're happy and saved some money.

The reality is, we don't really know how worn that engine is. Example:

I bought a C-160 non runner a couple of years ago. It had carb issues so the guy parked it. I wanted to rebuild the motor as a spare for my current 160. I opened it up  and things looked good. I took it to a friend of mine who builds kart engines for an opinion. He said the bore was out of round and needed boring and the crank was out of round and was all ready .010 undersized. Rod had numerous cracks which showed up on dye. He called a friend of his that does his machine work. I brought everything to him to double check. Crank couldn't be turned again. And bore was near limits and may need to be sleeved. Total estimate with machine work and parts was $700! That's not including gaskets or any reassembly labor.

Remember this was a motor that to the naked eye of a guy that has been a mechanic for 30 yrs. looked good! 

All great points and certainly drives home the point that a ring/bearing job is by no means a complete overhaul!  But I'm wondering what would have happened if you had just replaced rings and bearings.  Now indeed the rod cracks scare me, but let's ignore that for a moment or let's say will saw that and replaced the rod.  Now I wonder how many more hours she would have given if only rings and bearing were replaced.  A quick shade tree mechanic rebuild and maybe she brings in the winter fuel for a few more years?

JackC

How about the guys that are into pulling? They have shops that do work for them.

I prefer to find a good used engine rather than rebuild.
I gave up on perfection years ago.
I do not need to pay for an engine rebuild that will out last me.
Just like I want my last check to bounce, I want my last engine to fail just before I check out.
Just put plenty of straight 30W or 40W Dino oil in it and smoke the mosquitoes.

There are also home based mechanics around if you can find them.

• Like 1

squonk

That's why I picked up a good running K-321 a couple of years ago at the show for a couple of Franklins. It's not a 16 but it will work on 2 of my tractors if the need comes. Mean while it's not hurting anything sittin on the shelf

DennisThornton

Power Kings Kohlers are a special breed and a certain Spec# and other Kohlers just won't bolt up to the cast bell housing (similar to a car or truck with a flywheel. pressure plate, throw out...) and they are getting harder to find.  I have had two of those rebuilt.  Other Kohlers were bought while still sitting in the tractor.  Just seems cheaper to buy a whole tractor than to rebuild an engine.

• Like 3

Forest Road

Haledon Auto Parts in Haledon NJ has a full shop. You'll have to deliver all parts. They've done a bunch of Kohlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk