doc724

How to remove hydro column shift lever?

doc724

I installed Matt's Hydro Kit yesterday.  Easy install and I am pleased with the results.  Now I want to remove the old column mounted shift lever.  Someone had to install it so I just need to figure out how the factory did it and reverse the process.  Have any members done this (removed the  shift lever) and like to share their method?   Thx

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hi Don, when I installed Matts pedai kit on my 520, the next thing to go was the column shift. Just garbage and in the way. I cant remember exactly, but the first step was to soak the steering wheel roll pin and get that out of the way. That was really the main hurdle. I will have to look back and see if I documented with pictures. As a note on that pedal kir. I myself loved it, that colum shift was something in the dark ages, anyway, getting that wheel off is your first step. Will be following along. Good luck.

glenn

What I found doc. Not much to it at all easy peasy.

20150509_190414.jpg

20150509_190445.jpg

20150509_190403.jpg

20150509_191818.jpg

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Plan   B ....if you can't get the wheel off.     :ROTF:

IMG_4988.thumb.JPG.8ea4bf42afffbf18c9f5a

IMG_4987.JPG

• Like 4

squonk

Yes. A torch can be messy! :lol:

• Like 2

AMC RULES
One of these should do the trick.   :confusion-shrug: 
  • Like 2

doc724

Ed, I got a good chuckle.  That was also my plan B (although I was thinking a Sawzall), although I am three for three in getting wheels removed (without damage) in the last 2 years

roadapples

Craig, you are one sick puppy!  lol, But I enjoyed the vid.

• Like 1

Forest Road

I left the column controls in place. With my size 14 snow boots I often have to use the lever for reverse. Absolutely love the foot pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doc724

UPDATE:  Here is how you do it, without resorting to plan B
Remove the steering wheel, washers and dust cover that goes around the steering shaft.
Remove the tower plate that holds the gauges
Remove the battery (so you can gain access)
Unbolt the throttle lever asm from the upper tower (the upper tower is the part that the hood latches to when in the closed position)
Disconnect any electrical connectors if there are lights or buttons on the upper tower
Disconnect the hydro lift lever from the valve lever (one nut) and remove the small bracket which holds the lift lever in position
Lift the upper tower off the tractor.  The hydro control lever and the lift lever with a little jockeying will lift right out.  You may have to temporarily lift out the steering shaft, but it will drop right back into place.
Take the tower asm with the lift levers still in it to your work area.  Position the hydro control lever on a vise and use knockout punches to drive out the spiriol pins which hold the two cams to the shaft.  Then just lift out the hydro control lever.

Reverse the process for reassembly.

Total time for the repair is 90 minutes or less and  most of that time is spent getting the steering wheel off.

Of course, Plan B is quicker!

Thx to all who responded

• Like 1

AMC RULES
 :confusion-shrug:   I'm still thinking...     :crying-pink:
the atomic cannon would be more fun. 
  • Like 2