fastlane4

upgrade a C-85

fastlane4

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.  I recently acquired my first wheel horse tractor.  It's a C-85 with a side discharge deck and i believe an 8 hp engine.  It was a gift from my grandmother and it was a tractor my grandfather used alot before he passed away.  
Tonight was the first time I put it to use and I have a big yard to mow.  Probably close to 3 acres so it takes alot of passes with a small deck.  It works way better than i expected it to but it needs more power and a larger deck.  I've done some searching but I'd just like a quick answer.  
What's the largest deck I can put on this thing and how big of an engine can i swap in?  I have some mechanical ability but I haven't done too many crazy things with lawn tractors.
I'll most likely end up with a zero turn at some point for all this cutting but this tractor has sentimental value and I'd love for it to be my main tractor.

• Like 1

slammer302

Since it has sentimental value i don't think i would go and tear apart a nice working original horse the c-85 with a 8hp kohler is a great machine i don't think it was intended for a 3 acre yard though. I would get another bigger mower and use the C-85 for the tough to get areas like ditches and hilly areas the 36" decks that came on them work great for areas like that.

If you have your heart set on repowering and changing decks you can always go with a 10-16hp kohler magnum or k series and a 48" deck is the biggest that will fit with out doing a front swept axle conversion but if you do the swept axle convert you can put a 60" deck on but if you do all that you would be just as well off to buy a 520H with a 60" deck and a 20hp engine. :text-welcomeconfetti::rs::wwp:      

fastlane4

Well sadly I think you're probably right.  It would be much easier to leave it alone and just add another machine to my stable.  But then again, what fun is there in that?  I'll have to do some looking around and try to find some 16 hp Kohlers and start hunting some larger decks.  48" sounds about right to make it pretty useful although I'll probably still get a zero turn just because of how fast they can mow.  I'd like to find a snow blower for it at some point as well and get rid of my walk behind.
Any specific models I can be on the lookout for?  For the engine or the deck?  
I'll get some pictures later.  I got home from work late today and it's already dark.  I still have to finish mowing so it'll be out of the garage again tomorrow.  Thanks for the help.

slammer302

Good luck on ur hunt for a 16hp there are a lot of model horses that came with a 16hp just to name a few C-160,no name 16, sum 416-8 had a 16hp plus john deer used them too and others

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk