Brian Hammond

520XI

Brian Hammond

Looking for th e service manual for the hydro on a 520XI anyone have anything I want to change my fluids owners manual don't show much

bmsgaffer

10W-30 many on here prefer synthetic.

The hydro uses the transaxle as a sump, so its the same fluid in both. :handgestures-thumbupright:

I think I may have read through your post too fast. Are you looking for HOW to do it?

gwest_ca

Brian Hammond

awesome thank you so much

doc724

Although the transaxle holds 6 quarts, you can only get 4.5 out, so refill is 4.5 quarts. Filling it takes forever since there is no easy way to get the air out (even though the transaxle is vented).  Get the new oil warmed up before trying to refill.  It goes much faster.  I used to leave the quarts out in the sun on an 80-90 degree day.  Not many of those days left in this year though.

• Like 1

Brian Hammond

That is good to know and I thank you, the information on here is as good as or better than any customer support group from companies that are still in business. I can't believe how helpful folks are on here thank you so much!

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

Just leave the oil filter off for a vent to the transmission till you get most of the oil into it. I know it works on the 520H models. I would think it would work for the 520xi also.

• Like 1

Brian Hammond

hmm that interesting also sounds like it would work!

kiotiken

I take the bolt out of the top that holds the wire strap. That makes for a vent.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bmsgaffer

I leave the oil filter off, just have something under that area to protect the floor if you care to. Sometimes there are some pretty good spatter sneezes that can come out if you are pouring oil in.

If you leave the top bolt off (are there even top bolts on the xi? I havent looked) there is a chance you will contaminate the oil with dirt if you don't clean the top of the trans really well, so keep that in mind.

Edited by bmsgaffer
Edited for spelling.
  • Like 1

doc724

On a typical Eaton 1100, leaving the oil filter open a crack will work as the filter is mounted high up.  I don't think that is the case on the xi.  Everytime I have crawled under the machine, the filter is staring me in the face.  Also, unlike the classic machines where you can easily remove the fender and seat to get at those "top bolts", taking the xi pan off can be a two person job, especially if you do it the way Toro suggests.  I did read somewhere where someone put a soda straw down the fill tube to vent, but the fill tube is small to start with so you need to get the straw in there and still leave room for the oil to get down.  Plus, you don't want the straw to get lost down the tube either.  I will stand by my recommendation, warm up the oil.  My first change was done in the month of November when it was somewhat cold.  I had to pour the oil so slowly it took 20-30 minutes per quart and if you were not careful and tried to rush, the funnel just would not drain.

bmsgaffer

On a typical Eaton 1100, leaving the oil filter open a crack will work as the filter is mounted high up.  I don't think that is the case on the xi.  Everytime I have crawled under the machine, the filter is staring me in the face.  Also, unlike the classic machines where you can easily remove the fender and seat to get at those "top bolts", taking the xi pan off can be a two person job, especially if you do it the way Toro suggests.  I did read somewhere where someone put a soda straw down the fill tube to vent, but the fill tube is small to start with so you need to get the straw in there and still leave room for the oil to get down.  Plus, you don't want the straw to get lost down the tube either.  I will stand by my recommendation, warm up the oil.  My first change was done in the month of November when it was somewhat cold.  I had to pour the oil so slowly it took 20-30 minutes per quart and if you were not careful and tried to rush, the funnel just would not drain.

Regardless of the oil filters physical location, it feeds the low pressure charge pump oil into the actual hydrostatic pump on the transmission (it is not connected to the sump so the level of the filter doesn't matter), so you may get some leakage from the pump/hoses but once that is cleared it will vent so you can safely refill with the oil pump loosened/off.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

This is the eaton 11 connection diagram:
2015-10-02_16_50_07-ea11wh.pdf_-_Adobe_A

• Like 2

Forest Road

I pulled one of the bolts out of the trans when refilling. Dont recall having any issues.

Mechanics tip 101 when replacing hard to reach nuts. (Perhaps old news to many) Take a small of paper and put it on top of bolt and press into socket. Bolt won't fall out of socket when trying to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

doc724

I like this idea (paper on the bolt).  My father always used to put some grease on his finger and press the nut into it.  Back in those days (50's and 60's) the grease was really thick.  Modern greases do not work so well for this purpose. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Paper works great!  I've even used leaves.  Sears and I'm certain others make sized magnets that drop into the sockets and hold the nuts and while I have a set I've always found either paper or a leaf closer to me than the magnets!

• Like 1