Sign in to follow this  
64lawnranger

seat covers?

64lawnranger

Hey guys, I'm working to get my '66 lawn ranger back in action, the last piece I need is a seat cover....anyone know if there is an after market source...or any ideas?

Lane Ranger

64 LawnRanger:

My sister hade me a seat cover that is exact to the origianl specs/appearance of the Lawn Ranger black and white seat cover (down to the ribbing in the seat) and she is thinking of making and selling on Ebay replacement covers. I am sending her the original pattern from the remains of my 1967 Lawn Ranger. The seat is the same as in your photo on Red Square.

Her husband has a trucking business and she makes all the seat covers for his big trucks and has the equipment and upholstry realted sewing items for making these.

If you are still interested in purcashing one let me know and I will pass the message on to her.

Lane Ranger :hide:

sorekiwi

I think there'd be a lot of interest in covers for the early '60's square pan seats. There's a guy in Ohio selling them on ebay, but they arent terribly accurate reproductions.

I'd be interested in 2 origional looking ones, and I have a reasonably complete cover that would probably be good enough to make a pattern from. PM me if she is interested.

Rollerman

Lane...I think your sister could be potentially be looking at a short term gold mine!

You know a lot of demand untill the demand goes away. :hide:

Anyways this is the same seat cover on many of the Wheel Horse models from the mid to late 60ies.

I know I'll be watching for them if she does decide to market them on ebay?

Lets hope she does! :D

Lane Ranger

Maybe I can talk her into selling on Red Square so everyone gets a better price for a better product! I am telling you my seat does not look any different from the original and in fact has more cushion in it anyway!

She got me the cushion part but probably won't include that in her item for sale. I think she just wants to make the seat covers.

sorekiwi

Here is a picture of the early seats - sorry its so sh1tty, the fact that I cant find a picture of a good one makes me think there would be a demand...

And here's a link to the ones on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WHEEL-HORSE-LAWN-TRACT...%3A1%7C294%3A50

The genuine article has fake stitching and seams embossed into it, which I would assume would be very difficult to reproduce, unless it's possible to buy the vinyl with the "stitching" already molded in.

And I agree with Stephen (Tickster), I think she'd have big demand for a a short while, but it wont be a long term money earner...

JimD

Here is a picture of the early seats - sorry its so sh1tty, the fact that I cant find a picture of a good one makes me think there would be a demand...

And here's a link to the ones on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WHEEL-HORSE-LAWN-TRACT...%3A1%7C294%3A50

The genuine article has fake stitching and seams embossed into it, which I would assume would be very difficult to reproduce, unless it's possible to buy the vinyl with the "stitching" already molded in.

And I agree with Stephen (Tickster), I think she'd have big demand for a a short while, but it wont be a long term money earner...

the one in your link is on the 753 in my avatar. it's pretty well made. i'm happy with it.

Lane Ranger

Here are some links to two photos of the "new" seat cover and I think it shows the new "ribs" and as good or better as the old embossed seat cover.

http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww284/L...nt=100_2049.jpg

http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww284/L...nt=100_2048.jpg

Lane Ranger

Rollerman

LR....pics look great & keep us posted if your sister decides to make up a batch. :hide:

Also the Lawn Ranger look great....fixing up a couple myself right now.

sorekiwi

They look great Lane. If she's interested in doing a couple of the early ones, I'd be interested (the pan seat on my early Ranger really does need covering up!). The cover I do have probably is good enough to make a pattern.

Is your sister in Greencastle too? I'm just down at Heritage Lake.

Lane Ranger

My sister is in Illinois and works during the week but has her own equipment and supplies to make seat covers. My brother in law has a trucking business and the seats wear out easily.

I think I told her there would be more interest than she could handle initially (and from the interest expressed already I am confirmed on that) but she exprssed an interest in doing. I sent her the original seat cover from my Lawn Ranger which she used as a pattern. I believe the earlier year seats covers for the Lawn Rangers is the same as the 1967 one from all I have seen.

I will post here when I get the high sign from her with further directions!

Lane

whfan74

Lane, I am kind of a newbie to all of this but I have a 552 that needs a new seat cover and I am not sure if they came on the 551's as well. I purchased my 551 with just the seat pan that was painted. I claim ignorance but I would be interested in purchasing as well.

Thanks for your help!

sorekiwi

Here's a kinda crappy picture of the cover for the early 60's tractors, 502,702,552,753,62 and 63 Rangers and probably some more.

49fa_3-1.jpg

Without the cover the seat pan looks like this:

bb2a_3.jpg

Lane Ranger

Mike: Was the seat pan cover a string tie around the outside of the steel seat pan?

That is how my Lawn Ranger cover was tightened around the back and seat in one piece.

Your cover is different from mine in the photos so my sister may need a pattern to work off of. I will keep in touch with you about these covers!

lane

bowtieguy

Just FYI...I had a cover made for my Lawn Ranger....by a guy that did 50/60's auto coverings....he made it from pattern of my old one...black and white...padded...with draw strings...price was 65 bucks...maybe a little pricey but will give you an idea for pricing.

I liked the cover....so did a mouse...who proceeded to eat a hole in it a couple days after I put it on the seat!!!.... :hide:

rwilson

I am looking for the mid 70's 2 piece seat. for my c120. Maybe a possibility?? :hide:

oldandred

Frank not a bad price i had one done four years ago for the same price