diggerdave

Are my carb parts NLA???

diggerdave

Hi All—recently picked up a “Toro Wheelhorse Classic”  hydro w the kohler magnum 12 in it. Plow, snowblower and deck all for the best price--free. Prolly made in the early 90’s?? I got it running but have 2 small problems…

First what model do I have? Its missing the id tag. It is hydrostatic transsaxle with the hydro deck lift. The transaxle does have a replaceable hydro filter up top next to the left rear tire. Im thinking  it’s a 312H???

Second and most important… as usual the painted on Kohler ID tag is unreadable….. So I don’t have a model number and need to order a carb rebuild kit. How can I do this???  I believe the model is going to be K301S.  Is that correct?? Im in search of a carb rebuild kit and so far eveyone says KH10696 is NLA.

Appreciate any help on this. thanks dave

slammer302

it should be a M12 kohler or magnum 12 rebuild kits for the carb should be easy to find and sounds like the trans is a eaton 1100

diggerdave

sorry yes it is a Kohler magnum 12. Problem is i cant find the part number for the rebuld kit and everyone i call say thay have to have the model number of the engine... Sorry i wasnt clear about needing this. thanks dave

Anglo Traction

If you are able to check the Carb Mounting Flange, there should be a 7 digit Carb Model Number stamped into it (usually on the right hand side of it). If you can post the number here, I will check for the part numbers your likely to need.  

diggerdave

Hi it's a Walbro On left side there is a 4. On the flange there is whg742780. Pls note I'm about 95percent sure on the 4. It could be a 1???? I'm less sure on the last digit 0. It may just be a casting mark. Appreciate any help in identifying a new part number for a rebuild kit. Thanks Dave

Anglo Traction

I can't verify the numbers you have. I only have this example from the Manual to work to for I.D.-ing numbers on  Kohler (or Walbro) Carbs-
Carb_nbrs.thumb.GIF.45fd86ffdcdd2eeff7f8
It may be that you have one that is from another application or an Aftermarket example ?.

diggerdave

Thanks for checking.  Soooo i would like to take a step back for minute to get the bigger pic if you dont mind. Appreciate any input.
So i deinately have a Kohler magnum 12 engine with a walbro carb. From what i understand I DO NOT HAVE a K301 right? Mine is referred to as a M-12 right? From what i was told the k301 and m-12 carbs are not interchangable and the only replacement carb for an M-12  is one made by Kohler for about 300 bucks.  (A replacement k-301 carb can be had online for about 45 bucks.)
So my only real option is to find a donor or somehow get my hands on a rebuild kit for the walbo WHG carb.  As far as I have bee able to find there are 2 walbro repair kits, one for fixed jets and one not. They are part # 25 757 11-s and 25 757 08.  Thanks for any info-- im just trying to get the lay of the land so i can decide if i want to pursue fixing what is a well built machine.. dave

buckrancher

Basically the same motor with magneto ignition and different sheet medal you can use a carter carb off a K301 with no problems kohler M12's came with both carter and walbro carbs also as a side note both carbs only have gaskets and inlet needles in their
rebuild kits jets are NLA but that's all you should need other than a good cleaning

Brian

bds1984

I just put a brand new knock-off carburetor for a K301 on my M12. I had to switch the choke shaft otherwise the choke lever worked in opposite direction. Fifteen hours of use later and I've had zero issues. $47 for that new K301 carburetor off ebay seems to work for both my horses.

diggerdave

Thanks BDS1984. In searching the web I had read a same/similar post on another site where a guy did the same thing and had success. For 50 bucks I think Im going to give this a try since the 312H seems to be a well built machine and everything else on the tractor works and is in good shape. Ill report back here once Ive done it. thanks for all the help! dave

pfrederi

Two of my horses wound up with replacement carbs and backward chokes.  One I just labeled the dash panel up for run down for start.  The other I never marked i think of it as my anti-theft device.;)

• Like 1

buckrancher

Thanks BDS1984. In searching the web I had read a same/similar post on another site where a guy did the same thing and had success. For 50 bucks I think Im going to give this a try since the 312H seems to be a well built machine and everything else on the tractor works and is in good shape. Ill report back here once Ive done it. thanks for all the help! dave

you can buy a rebuild kit for under $15
if you do not want to fix your carb sent it to me

Brian

diggerdave

Hi all—well I got the $45.00 K301 carb off the web and after taking 15 minutes to swap it into my magnum 12, Im happy to report it works perfectly at all ranges and with the PTO engaged as well. It comes preset.

The mounting boss was an exact match and the throttle cable clipped in no problem.  The only thing that does not line up is my choke cable and the carbs choke lever. It seems that my cable wire is thicker in diameter than the hole in the lever and I will have to move the angle of approach for my cable. No big problem.

The only thing I would have like to see different is the new carbs mounting boss. It is sloted on both sides where as the old walbro has holes drilled. Just a personal preference of mine.

Anyway I hope this helps some other Kohler Magnum 12 owners!! Bring on the snow!!!!!

• Like 1

oldredrider

Glad you got back up and running. You will find the slotted flange works much better if and when you need to remove and reinstall the carb. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

slammer302

can you send me the name of the seller you bought the carb from i need to get one too

roadapples

can you send me the name of the seller you bought the carb from i need to get one too

Yea, me too, thanks!

diggerdave

hi hope im not breaking any forum rules.... but it was purchased from "outdoor power something or other.." via amazon. I called them and they only sell via amazon and ebay. Search amazon for k301 and you will find. Read some of the reviews if need be. Good luck! I used  the tractor today.. turned the key and she fired right up and ran real smooth in all ranges. So far so good. dave