Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

help

dgjks6

Life is never easy. After lots of effort, a hack saw, some wearing, and some bungi cords I got the chains on the tires and the tires on the tractor and the weights on the wheels.

Snow falling - perfect

Then I checked the oil - I just changed it and put in 10w30 synthetic blend - 2 quarts - and was a touch low - so I added regular 10w30 - which is what I do in my cars and the dealer says is fine because a blend is regular with synthetic anyway.

Well - the oil was clear and now is white.

WTF?

Greg

jtmoyer

last time i had white oil my 3 year old stuck the garden hose in the exhaust and filled the motor. had to flush it out 3 times with fresh oil to get it clean.

MaineDad

Yup - Water got in there somehow I'd guess

WheelHorse_of_course

It may be just condensation and around the dip stick. Wipe and reinsert a few times.

If it is uniformly white you better change it.

Good luck

dgjks6

Thanks guys

Wiped the dip stick a bunch and went away. Condensation huh? Guess I have never used the tractor in winter and would not know that.

Confused99

Yep, I would just guess condensation. I have seen it lots of times and it almost always happens in the winter.

linen beige

Old time car restorers general knowledge. The next time you see this on your dipstick, if there is a next time, heat the end of the still wet dipstick with a lighter. If it sizzles and pops like frying bacon there's water in the oil. If it burns there's GAS in it.

If it's water, wipe off the stick and use it to stir the oil a little. Then pull it out and check it again. If there was very much water in it the stick would still sizzle and you REALLY need to change it. If it no longer sizzles then there is likely no more than a few drops in it and it may cook off as the engine heats up. It still wouldn't hurt to change it.

dgjks6

I literally just changed the oil whenit happened. Had not ran the tractor more 2minutes total since the oil change. I did add more oil when I saw this and I think what happened is that the new oil took some condensation from the insdie of the tubes.

After I got it to disappear and the oil was at the correct level I plowed with it and thought (which there is a lot of time to do on a plow) that if the engine blows you guys could help me rebuild it anyway. :hide:

stevasaurus

I worked in a gas station back in the 60's...back when we had service stations...one of the brands of oil that would froth up is Pennsoil, you would see it on the old filler caps. Chances are this is not major. If it happened to me, I would drain the oil...refill with karosene(can't spell) :hide: ...run only a few minutes (just to worm up)...drain and refill with your brand of oil. we would use this trick for sticky lifters...it cleans out the engine, and will not hurt anything. Just don't run it long with the karosene in it...it is only about 2 weight. :D

bitten

It sounds like you figured out your problem, GREAT.

I use synthetic in my horses, and have always been told not to mix it with other oils and not to go back to regular oil after you have used the synthetic. I have been told that the synthetic will have leaks or show leaks easyer then conventional oil but that is something that I am willing to accept for the benifits the this oil has. Just wanted to share somethings that I have read andbeen told about.

Good luck,

P.J.

HorseFixer

It sounds like you figured out your problem, GREAT.

I use synthetic in my horses, and have always been told not to mix it with other oils and not to go back to regular oil after you have used the synthetic. I have been told that the synthetic will have leaks or show leaks easyer then conventional oil but that is something that I am willing to accept for the benifits the this oil has. Just wanted to share somethings that I have read andbeen told about.

Good luck,

P.J.

PJ Yer pretty close! :hide: . Synthetic Oil itself does not cause leaks. Many Mineral Oils donot have proper chemicals that keep seals and gaskets pliable. Over time they shelac and make seals and gasket brittle these conventional oils cause a false seal. "THE DAMAGE IS ALLREADY DONE" Heres the truth of the matter!

The "synthetic oil's cause leaks myth":

Synthetic oil does flow more readily than petroleum oil does so if you have a leak it will tend to leak from it more freely. This however is caused by an all ready failing seal. Not by the synthetic oil itself.

Petroleum motor oils are notorious for forming what's know as a "false seal" Varnish and crud will build up around a failing seal and help keep a more viscous petroleum oil from leaking. Synthetic oils that are highly detergent will clean off the build up and expose the all ready failing seal. There's your leak!

For this reason we suggest that our oil's only be used in mechanically sound engines. If you have a leaking seal replace it prior to installing Amsoil motor oil.

We have also seen many cases where older engines are starting to seep oil because some motor oils have poor long term seal compatibility. Exposure to these low grade oils causes the seals to harden and seal poorly.

All motor oil, synthetic and petroleum alike contain chemicals as part of the additives that are added to the oil that are there to keep engine seals pliable and to cause mild swelling so the seal works properly.

The additive's in Amsoil motor oils are so good at conditioning engine seals that there have been many cases where engines with slight oil seeps sealed back up after a few thousand miles of driving. That being said if the seal is shot all you can do is get it fixed, no oil will fix it ours included.