elliot ness

Building a loader

Forest Road

Absolutely love the project. At times Id rather have my loader on a 520h instead of my Xi. Just so could get down to one tractor.

Anyway are you reinforcing the chassis at all? Plenty of 520H tractors have cracked at the footpegs just from the weight of the 60" deck.

Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNYPCRepair

I had an idea this morning. Maybe just maybe, I should try to build a small backhoe for the 520 H after the loader is completed. What do you folks think?:ROTF:

Eliminates the need for a ballast box.  :)

• Like 1

elliot ness

Absolutely love the project. At times Id rather have my loader on a 520h instead of my Xi. Just so could get down to one tractor.

Anyway are you reinforcing the chassis at all? Plenty of 520H tractors have cracked at the footpegs just from the weight of the 60" deck.

Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but that is a real issue with the 520's, I had one that was broke on both sides. I shall look into this. Thanks for the reminder.:text-goodpost:

• Like 1

elliot ness

lots to do yet, had to shorten the loader arms by 11 in's., dump cylinders need to go to the shop this morning, as they are badly bent, will put in press, done it before and it works.

S3700003.JPG

S3700001.JPG

S3700002.JPG

• Like 5

muz123

Thats neat! Ive never seen a loader getting run that way hooked up to the flywheel.

mikekot3

nice work !!!
Is the flywheel bolts going to handle that amount of torque?

elliot ness

nice work !!!
Is the flywheel bolts going to handle that amount of torque?

Yes the bolts will hold, think about some of the other brands of GT's that hook to the flywheel side of the motor, as with some of the big wheel cases early Allis's  with a B&S. and they use bolts

Edited by elliot ness

elliot ness

And a set of 26x12x12's now a new a name Boss 520 with fluid and about 85 lbs. each.:woohoo:

S3700001.JPG

S3700004.JPG

Edited by elliot ness
more info
  • Like 4

WNYPCRepair

Boy it looks like those tires barely clear the fenders. :) 

• Like 1

elliot ness

Boy it looks like those tires barely clear the fenders. :) 

Yes, they had to have some shoehorn fender trimming at the leading edge. [ grinder] about 3/16 of an inch in places. and I had to move the hubs out about 1/2 inch. but they are on and bitten good.
:happy-jumpeveryone:

Don1977

Moving the hubs out causes the set screws not to center on the Woodruff keys and not keep the hubs tight.

TunaSlayet

Excellent Build! I am very interested in the flywheel pulley for the hydro pump: more specifically, how you went about fabricating it. I would love to move my loader pump to the flywheel side, and hang a rototiller off the back as counter weight. If you have any details, advice, or pictures of this part of the build, I would greatly appreciate it. I am probably going to try this in the spring! Keep up the good work!

image1 (1).JPG

• Like 1

muz123

Nice!

elliot ness

Excellent Build! I am very interested in the flywheel pulley for the hydro pump: more specifically, how you went about fabricating it. I would love to move my loader pump to the flywheel side, and hang a rototiller off the back as counter weight. If you have any details, advice, or pictures of this part of the build, I would greatly appreciate it. I am probably going to try this in the spring! Keep up the good work!

image1 (1).JPG

Well if you have a Onan it is the easiest, I have done a kohler and an Onan, the kohler was a 12hp and you have to build a recessed adapter with 4 holes in a small round  hole about 1 1/2 deep, about 2 1/2 in. in diameter, and then go outward X amount inches with something round to weld to a  V pulley I like using a 3 in. B V-pulley on that and just a bit smaller on the pump. Now with the Onan 18 & 20 hp. you just need to take off the plastic shield, and the 4 bolt holes are right there, not recessed, but on the same plane. so all you need is a square plate with 4 holes  and build outward till you get your needed measurements, I like to hold all those pieces together with a big hd. clamp and tack weld everything on all sides as to not have it warp. and always give your self a lot of movement on the pump mount for line up with the flywheel pulley. I shall send you pics. And thanks for asking.

• Like 2

PaulC

Loaders are awesome! Great job so far! Gotta ask though why did you want to keep the deck on the tractor with the loader? :confusion-scratchheadyellow: Seems to me like the deck would limit where you could go and what you could do with the tractor when using the loader, and also would think the loader could be a nuisance when mowing. Im just curious not trying at all to knock what your doing because I do think its awesome and know you went through some struggles trying to fit everything in such tight space.

elliot ness

Loaders are awesome! Great job so far! Gotta ask though why did you want to keep the deck on the tractor with the loader? :confusion-scratchheadyellow: Seems to me like the deck would limit where you could go and what you could do with the tractor when using the loader, and also would think the loader could be a nuisance when mowing. Im just curious not trying at all to knock what your doing because I do think its awesome and know you went through some struggles trying to fit everything in such tight space.

I only do it because it's something you hardly ever see, unless you jump up to the small diesel tractors, like the old satohs, Hinomotos, massey 1010, But I also love a challenge, But I made one out of a 312 W/H and sold it and he mows  [48 in. deck ] and uses the loader never taking it off, That said yes the 60 in. deck would get in the way a lot of the time, but hay it looks like a mean 520, and looks is 2/3 of everything right?

elliot ness

image1 (1).JPG

Well if you have a Onan it is the easiest, I have done a kohler and an Onan, the kohler was a 12hp and you have to build a recessed adapter with 4 holes in a small round  hole about 1 1/2 deep, about 2 1/2 in. in diameter, and then go outward X amount inches with something round to weld to a  V pulley I like using a 3 in. B V-pulley on that and just a bit smaller on the pump. Now with the Onan 18 & 20 hp. you just need to take off the plastic shield, and the 4 bolt holes are right there, not recessed, but on the same plane. so all you need is a square plate with 4 holes  and build outward till you get your needed measurements, I like to hold all those pieces together with a big hd. clamp and tack weld everything on all sides as to not have it warp. and always give your self a lot of movement on the pump mount for line up with the flywheel pulley. I shall send you pics. And thanks for asking.

S3700013.JPG

S3700014.JPG

S3700015.JPG

S3700016.JPG

TunaSlayet

That looks sweet. The motor on my loader is actually a 20 horse magnum kohler, so I'll have to dig into the flywheel to see what's up. Thanks for the pics and instructional. Hopefully I will  tackle this soon. Great project. Can't wait to see it finished.

elliot ness

Almost done with the bucket weld the ends and put a cutting edge on and paint about 2 more hrs tomorrow.

S3700003.JPG

S3700004.JPG

S3700005.JPG

• Like 4

slammer302

I know who i will ask for help when i decide i need a loader that looks great elliot ness

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

You fellas sure have fabricating talent. Looks great.

glenn

elliot ness

Bucket done, just mount it after it dries:woohoo:, and secure the S.S. lines and presto, Boss 520 ?

S3700001.JPG

S3700002.JPG

S3700003.JPG

S3700004.JPG

• Like 2

elliot ness

I can see a light at the end of the bucket !:ROTF: Just the s. s. lines and then what?

S3700002.JPG

S3700003.JPG

S3700004.JPG

S3700005.JPG

S3700006.JPG

S3700007.JPG

S3700008.JPG

Edited by elliot ness
  • Like 2

KC9KAS

The loader project turned out awesome!
Thanks for keeping us informed on the build.

• Like 2

roadapples

Done already? This went way too fast. Great job.

• Like 1