jcp0420

Raider 12 Rat!

jcp0420

Few more updates for y'all.....since work will slow down some for next week. Going to start ordering parts for everything soon but I want to make sure I order everything at once and not forget.  But I will forget something regardless. Always happens lol.  I also suck at keeping secrets.  Im terrible at keeping them!  When I pop the question to my significant other, I'm not quite sure how I will keep it to myself.  So there's some secrets to this build also lol.  I'll let a few things slip.

• Hood, fender pan, and belt guard are getting a color change.  Frame will stay copper as Its growing on me but I'm not a skull guy so its got to go.
  • Doing a custom hand throttle out of something. Its a rat rod. I want it to look ratty.
  • Going to through some wrenches on it somehow. I would love to use one as a shifter but I'm not sure yet.
  • Re doing some of the welds on a few parts.

And I am still trying to figure out which trans axle I have. Since the frame has been painted I have yet to find any numbers. Not sure where to look either but if you guys know where I should look then let me know.  The axles are leaking pretty bad and I have done the research on changing the axle seals. So I will tackle that this week hopefully. I have also been soaking the hubs in pb blaster every time I walk by it.  Hoping they come off easy!

• Like 1

953 nut
8 minutes ago, jcp0420 said:

The axles are leaking pretty bad

Try to move the axles up and down and front to rear to be sure the bearings are good, Any movement is pretty much too much movement.

10 minutes ago, jcp0420 said:

Going to through some wrenches on it somehow

:twocents-02cents:   Find some BIG old wrenches, bend them up for foot rests and bolt them to the frame.

• Like 1

jcp0420
5 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Try to move the axles up and down and front to rear to be sure the bearings are good, Any movement is pretty much too much movement.

:twocents-02cents:   Find some BIG old wrenches, bend them up for foot rests and bolt them to the frame.

I never thought of the big wrenches! I will see what I can find then!   And the axles have no play in them at all!  Checked all that a few days ago

• Like 1

AMC RULES

For reference...

• Like 1

jcp0420

@AMC RULES that is one hell of a build! Wish I could see that in person

jcp0420

Started the port and polish today. I'd say it came out pretty good!  

IMG_20160119_142107196.jpg

• Like 3

Pullstart
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 4:51 PM, jcp0420 said:

• Re doing some of the welds on a few parts.

Hopefully those bumper brackets are on the list of welds to clean up?  Keep up the progress!

• Like 2

jcp0420
7 hours ago, pullstart said:

Hopefully those bumper brackets are on the list of welds to clean up?  Keep up the progress!

You guessed that right!!  Previous owner said he was a pro at welding also.....

• Like 1

Pullstart

hope you didn't pay him extra for his speech!

I got it, with the frame color it was supposed to be "bling" fool's gold.  That's pretty stylish, maybe you should keep it?

• Like 1

jcp0420

Not doing much today. Week has been slow also!  But I moved the seat back on my break in between classes and trying to figure out a parts/ price list for everything. Going to make it as budget as I can!  

IMG_20160122_095202797.jpg

• Like 1

jcp0420

Alright guys.... Rear Wheels.  Need some suggestions.  I have been looking all over craigslist but sadly my area has nothing it seems.

I was also looking at the 5 lug 8x7 trailer wheels. I will probably end up grabbing these but any other suggestions help.

953 nut
24 minutes ago, jcp0420 said:

was also looking at the 5 lug 8x7 trailer wheels.

I hope you meant to say 12 X 7. The bolt patern is the same as the Ford and Chrysler 5 bolt 4 1/2" wheels, take a look at some of the used race and street rod wheels that might be for sale; may be able to find a pair with Racing Slicks on them, that would be KOOL!

• Like 1

jcp0420
26 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I hope you meant to say 12 X 7. The bolt patern is the same as the Ford and Chrysler 5 bolt 4 1/2" wheels, take a look at some of the used race and street rod wheels that might be for sale; may be able to find a pair with Racing Slicks on them, that would be KOOL!

Thats what I would like to find.   Some 15x10s on slicks or something in that category.   

• Like 1

jcp0420

Just a small update.   Been painting everything that I can matte black. Wheels will be cleaned up and touched up with black as well. Trying to make it look somewhat of a rat rod and not have different colors all over it lol. 

Also had an interview yesterday for my last class of SOE. (Supervised Occupational Experience). And I got hired yesterday. Starting in March I'll be working for a local Kubota dealership with the chance of landing a job after graduating. 

But anyways I'll have more updates and ordering parts the first week of February!

Edited by jcp0420
  • Like 3

jcp0420

Well the color scheme change again. Sticking with the copper/matte black 2 tone. And throwing some spray can bedliner on it in some parts as well.  I'll get pics up of more things I painted tomorrow. 

IMG_20160127_154812845.jpg

IMG_20160127_154802865.jpg

russellmc301

looking nice something way different the average, i have never seen one besides pics and the way you sound it will be a one of a kind tractor.

:text-coolphotos:  

• Like 1

jcp0420
36 minutes ago, russellmc301 said:

looking nice something way different the average, i have never seen one besides pics and the way you sound it will be a one of a kind tractor.

:text-coolphotos:  

Thanks! I'm trying my hardest to get away from the norm!  And to be honest I'm not a huge fan of red lol.  But it was already painted copper so I'm either going to touch it up or just re paint the whole thing.  Haven made up m mind quite yet!

953 nut
On 1/26/2016 at 1:08 PM, jcp0420 said:

Starting in March I'll be working for a local Kubota dealership

Hope you don't decide to paint the :wh: Kubota orange!             :ychain:

Good luck with your SOE, great way to get a foot in the door for a job.    :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

jcp0420
53 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Hope you don't decide to paint the :wh: Kubota orange!             :ychain:

Good luck with your SOE, great way to get a foot in the door for a job.    :handgestures-thumbupright:

I'm not too fond of Kubota orange either....haha!  It just screams Hey!  Look at me! 

• Like 2

jcp0420

Everything I can get my hands on is being painted matte black lol. I added a few pics of the pulley I broke and a teacher supposedly "fixed" it but it looks terrible. Welds are crap. I'm not happy with it. 

And also, I'm wanting to paint the generator black but I'm afraid it won't turn out good....what are your thoughts on it?  

Also how do I take the steering wheel off?

IMG_20160128_161559558_TOP.jpg

IMG_20160128_161554315.jpg

IMG_20160128_161548230.jpg

IMG_20160128_152337055.jpg

IMG_20160128_152324054.jpg

IMG_20160128_152310635.jpg

Everything I can get my hands on is being painted matte black lol. I added a few pics of the pulley I broke and a teacher supposedly "fixed" it but it looks terrible. Welds are crap. I'm not happy with it. 

And also, I'm wanting to paint the generator black but I'm afraid it won't turn out good....what are your thoughts on it?  

Also how do I take the steering wheel off?

IMG_20160128_161559558_TOP.jpg

IMG_20160128_161554315.jpg

IMG_20160128_161548230.jpg

IMG_20160128_152337055.jpg

IMG_20160128_152324054.jpg

IMG_20160128_152310635.jpg

Achto

Painting the generator will not hurt anything. I don't suggest sand blasting it, just sand it & tape off the terminals. I've painted many generators and never had a problem.

• Like 1

Pullstart

What kind of metal is that pulley?  Looks like aluminum or pot metal, neither of which are loads of fun to weld on.

• Like 1

953 nut

There have been a bunch of threads on here about removing those pesky steering wheels; do a search and choose the method that seems best to you. Not sure if yours has a nut and washer under that center cap or a pin going through the hub of the steering wheel.

Edited by 953 nut
Spelling
  • Like 1

jimkemp

I don't know if I would trust those welds on that pulley , very cool tractor , makes me want to start another one before I get my 656 done

• Like 1

jcp0420

Thanks guys for all the input!  May be ordering a smaller steering wheel in the next few weeks and also found an awesome seat I may end up buying as well. As you can see I got the bite to paint everything it seems. The paint came out so good that I'll be painting a few other things as well but you'll have to wait and see all that. I can't find the original copper paint and the previous owner isn't much help at all. There will be more updates Monday morning but I think I have a few teaser pics to throw up today as well!  

And that pulley is aluminum I think...which I took it to the aluminum welding teacher to get it fixed. Will probably end up buying new as it is the starting pulley on the mower. I'm still kicking myself for breaking it!

IMG_20160129_100340472.jpg

IMG_20160129_100311950.jpg

IMG_20160129_100305596_TOP.jpg