378Pete

A very odd hydrostatic problem

378Pete

Thanks in advance for your help..... 1969 charger v8 with a b/s 12hp repower. If the belt is removed and I spin the pump pulley both rear wheels will move forward slowly . But when I put the belt on the forward tension stops all wheel movement. I confirmed by removing belt and spinning pulley with pressure towards front of tractor and again will not rotate rear wheels. I am completely stumped.

stevasaurus

I am thinking that you have received no answers because I am stumped also.  Understand, I know nothing about automatics, but I do know the guys that do could use a little more information.  Have you had this horse and now it is not running...did you just get this horse and you are trying to get it running??  A little back ground sometimes goes a long way in getting someone to offer help.  If I read what you are typing literally, it sounds like it should be...don't know.  Anyway, Welcome to Red Square and I hope my response will initiate some responses from the people that can help.  :)  It should have the Eaton 6 transmission.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Not much experience  with Hydros either, but two thoughts.... Is the pulley / shaft key OK ?   Is there any radial movement in the shaft that would indicate the bearings are bad ?

• Like 1

378Pete

I got it with a blown motor. Visually shaft and key are perfect. If spun by hand operates perfect but with the forward pull of the belt or pressure forward with hand spinning it will not spin rear axle

shallowwatersailor

I'm not up on Sunstrands either but it looks like a HydroGear version. I found a link for the repair manual. It looks like it could be tested under pressure using a drill for power if you don't have it connected to an engine. Hope the link helps.

http://www.searstractormanuals.com/manuals/sundstrand_90.pdf

bmsgaffer

I wouldn't think too much about it until you can get it under test with a motor (engine, drill, or otherwise). Most hydrostats work funny when only being spun at hand speed when they are supposed to be moving 3600 RPM or so. You can often see 'normal' operation if you get it spinning above 1000 rpm or so.

953 nut

"69 Charger V8 came with an Eaton 6 hydro, don't think it has a Sunstrand. Can you shoot a picture or two?

If you don't have a 1000 RPM drill I'm not sure you could learn much using a drill to drive a hydro.  :twocents-02cents:

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1

shallowwatersailor

"69 Charger V8 came with an Eaton 6 hydro, don't think it has a Sunstrand. Can you shoot a picture or two?

If you don't have a 1000 RPM drill I'm not sure you could learn much using a drill to drive a hydro.  :twocents-02cents:

A 1/2" drill will usually do 1200 rpm. My DeWalt HD 1/2" will do 850 rpm. "Close enough for government work." ;)

Is it an Eaton, or a Sundstrand?

Edited by shallowwatersailor

378Pete

Guys thanks for replying and offering links. I apologize for the delayed responses. I drive over the road and don't get much down time until the weekend.With all the info provided from you guys I have determined that it is an Eaton. It will lock up the tranny with the belt attached so I can't turn the motor over. It will only spin and operate normally if there is no horizontal pressure applied. If I push the pulley forward towards motor while spinning it is very hard to move at all and zero response at the rear axle. But if you just spin it like a TOP it will spin very easy and you can see the rear axles making forward. movement. I am so frustrated considering all the work I just did. This was suppose to be my boys so he could help me mow and now it May be next season

Pretty sure it's an Eaton. But I will snap a pic when I get home Saturday.

Ed Kennell

Still curious ...can you see  horizontal movement in the shaft when you push forward and back on the pulley?   Is the input shaft binding where it enters the seal?

Edited by ekennell

shallowwatersailor

Just looked at a brochure for a 1969 Charger V7 (1-7741).  The Toro database for 1969, and 1970 (changed to V8) shows it as a 5074 transmission. The brochure information shows it as a hydrostatic transmission with a limited slip differential. Could the problem be in the differential? 

• Like 1

378Pete

Just looked at a brochure for a 1969 Charger V7 (1-7741).  The Toro database for 1969, and 1970 (changed to V8) shows it as a 5074 transmission. The brochure information shows it as a hydrostatic transmission with a limited slip differential. Could the problem be in the differential? 

It does have a slip diff and just from hand turning i can tell t is operating as normal

Still curious ...can you see  horizontal movement in the shaft when you push forward and back on the pulley?   Is the input shaft binding where it enters the seal?

To the naked eye it appears to have no  movement. The bearing and clip visually look stable but I am thinking that it has to be moving the lower part of the shaft.

Edited by 69chargerv8
spelling error

stevasaurus

Are you going to try to fix the B&S engine?  Do you have another engine you could put on the horse?  I am thinking the guys may be right about having it under power to work properly.  Can you post a picture of the trans so we can identify what you really have?  :)

• Like 1

378Pete

Turns out like many said that it is operating just perfect under power from engine. Charger is complete and up and running perfectly. Thanks for all the help. Now I have a 60 suburban and an rj58 to get going for the girls

• Like 1