Irv

1993 314-8 pto safety switch

Irv

There are 4 wires (blue, purple, tan and orange) going to the pto safety switch. Can someone tell me which to connect to each other to bypass the switch. thanks much

Edited by Irv

gwest_ca

These wiring diagrams should help you
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/2214-tractor-1993-314-8-wiring-detailed-492-4509pdf/

The ignition is self-powered and the ignition wire is simply grounded to shut the engine off. Do not allow and battery voltage to get to that ignition wire. That will burn the coil up.

2 of the wires control the starter circuit and the other pair control the ignition.

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca

Irv

Hard for me to understand the diagram. I don't see any green wire. It looks like the tan and purple control the starter circuit, is that correct?

gwest_ca

That is confusing.

Tan from the ignition switch to purple that goes to the clutch pedal neutral switch and then to oil level relay for the starter is correct.
The neutral switch is located to the right of the shifter. The drive belt idler pulley arm is what actuates it.

Dark blue from the ignition switch and ignition coil to green that goes to the seat relay. The diagram shows yellow but can you verify the green goes to the seat relay?
This dark blue is the one that must NOT see any battery voltage. Leave it disconnected and the engine should run. To shut it off ground the dark blue on the chassis metal.

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca

Irv

Sorry Garry, I'm really getting old. There  isn't a green wire, it's orange. The wires to the seat safety switch are green and white and they are connected (no switch). The tractor will start if I jump the solenoid but when I engage the pto the motor will shut off. thanks for your help

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Take the seat switch wires apart and isolate them so they won't short on anything including the metal chassis.
Turn the key to RUN without the engine running. 
Touch the two seat switch wires together. You should hear or feel the seat relay click. If it does the previous connection of those 2 seat switch wires was bad. When the seat relay clicks it opens the contacts so the engine ignition wire is not grounded. That is what shuts it off.

Sounds like the pto switches are wired correctly the way they are now but will wait to hear what the seat relay test does.

Garry

Irv

Touched the wires together but no click.

gwest_ca

The white wire at the seat switch should have power in it with the ignition switch in the run position. Do you have a way to check that?

If no power check the 25 amp fuse. It may be blown.

This model should have two relays. One for the igntion and one for the low oil switch. I'm thinking they are the same part and you could switch them for testing purposes but when I check the parts lists they only show one relay and don't say which one it is. Do you have two of them and do they look the same?

Garry

Irv

Garry, first of all I really appreciate you help with this , thank you very much. There is no power to the white wire. Fuse is good, power to both sides in fuse box. there are 2 relays and they look the same. Could there be a problem at the neutral safety switch? I haven't looked at it yet but I've never had to have this tractor in neutral to start it, just had to push clutch in.

gwest_ca

The neutral safety switch for a gear transmission is closed when the clutch pedal is down. Actually the switch can be seen if you look down past the shifter and to the right. The lever the drive belt idler pulley is mounted on is what contacts the switch.
The neutral safety switch for the hydro transmissions is the same but activated by placing the control lever in neutral since they don't have a clutch pedal.
The neutral switch only controls the starter.

Back to the seat switch white wire.
See if you can check that white wire at the back of the ignition switch. It should come alive with the key in the Run position and the START position.
If that is hard to do check the white wire on the voltage regulator again with the key in the Run position and the START position. I think the regulator is in the blower housing next to the carburetor.

The problem may be corroded wiring at the ignition switch or the ignition switch has failed which could explain the starter problem also..

Looks like the 116338 ignition switch is only available from Toro. It is not the switch I expected to see.

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca

Irv

Garry, as you said, the ignition switch looked kind of corroded so I pulled it back and forth a bit and now the tractor starts with the key. Great!  The motor still dies when I engage the pto. What are your thoughts on that.

gwest_ca

Is there power in the white wire now at the seat switch?
If not is there power in the white wire at the ignition switch in RUN and START

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca

Irv

Garry, I took the ignition switch out of the tractor and cleaned it all up and all is well. Thanks very much for all your help. Irv