OhioGuy89

Onan P220-G Sputtering

OhioGuy89

Hi folks, on my onan a few weeks back, I noticed an oil leak and lost quite a bit of oil. I'm yet to find the source of the leak. Luckily, I didn't lose enough to go below the minimum marking on the dipstick. Ever since I've re-filled it though, I notice a sputtering at higher rpm's and especially when going uphill. Any idea what could be causing this?

Matt

Ed Kennell

If the  oil leak is at the rear of the engine, check the gasket under the oil filter mounting block.
The sputtering....clean the carb.

boovuc

Agreed! (above).
Oil leaks around the oil filter are common. Also look right behind the PTO at the bearing cover down. It's leaking when it's running and the air movement is probably throwing it making it hard to see it's source.
If you have an oil film around the top all the way to the bottom behind the PTO, that is a good candidate for for your source.
Unless you have a head gasket loose, the sputtering is seperate from the oil leak and is almost always a carb issue.

OhioGuy89

I'll have to give the carb a clean. I've been having to use starting fluid since I'm not running the tractor as often as in the past.I've had the filter oil leak problem before.this was a housing I got off eBay and a new gasket. We had to tap in one of the bolts, as the old threads were stripped Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk