cdsl810

Craigslist Nightmare

WNYPCRepair

Just wondering. Have any of you had any experience with Alzheimers / Dementia?
Marv

No first hand experience, but I worked with a guy whose wife would forget who he was while he was at work, forgot they had kids, etc. 

Just before my dad passed away, we had to put him in the nursing home, and he thought he was at home. Thought the people in the hall were on his porch. 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Just wondering. Have any of you had any experience with Alzheimers / Dementia?
Marv

Yes Marv, my parents to a very light degree of both, and my mother in Law. And some close friends parents to a severe degree, not knowing thier children etc. Frankly, quite sad, hard on the families and very hard to deal with. If I may ask, your point being? Ty

Glenn

Marv

Glenn,
My point is that maybe these people are afflicted with a form of this terrible disease. I have seen this before. Now I have first hand experience with this BAD thing.
Marvin

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Glenn,
My point is that maybe these people are afflicted with a form of this terrible disease. I have seen this before. Now I have first hand experience with this BAD thing.
Marvin

Marv, not knowing any of these people I can only say "maybe" and a slim maybe at that. However,,I can agree 100 percent that those 2 medical conditiins are a BAD thing as you say. Having lived it, I can say that. 
Glenn

cdsl810

This is, of course, pure speculation... but I think in my case the guy was dabbling in the pharmaceuticals.

I have personal experience with Alzheimers and Dementia having taken care of afflicted family members. It is simply heartbreaking. My crazy C-141 guy acted and sounded more like he was high on something. His thought process was too focused on being an a$$hole--almost like he had sudden courage. When I spoke with him 2 hours before I went to his house he was cordial and very accomodating. It's like someone flipped a switch in his brain. The main reason I feel this way is that through all of this, he knew I was coming, knew I was at his house, and knew who I was afterwards. My experience with A and D, are that yes, something can flip in their brain and their personalities can suddenly change, but in the process they lose some details about reality. This guy knew who I was and why I was there.

Don't worry, I won't quit my day job. I'm not a doctor (and don't pretend to be). Just a gut feeling.

• Like 4

Lagersolut

I sold an 8 x 10 enclosed aluminum trailer on Craigs list, one guy comes over to look at it and measures the width with a tape he brought - says the inside of the box isn't 8 ft wide - told him  8 ft was from  outside wheel well to outside wheel well ....long story short he gets a real quick attitude and starts accusing me of trying to rip people off, false advertisement ....blah blah blah - I pointed out the manufactures paperwork, still hanging in the trailer , that this is what is classified as an 8 x 10 trailer - if it was 8 ft in the box it would be 10ft going up the road ....didn't matter he's still determined he's gonna throw a fit ......this guy had me nervous ....I politely told him I want you to leave ....RIGHT NOW  ...surprisingly to me he did - threw his temper tantrum the whole way down the yard and out the D-way .

I hate to say it and it's a shame, but if I sell anything else I think Mr Ruger is going to be real close by.

• Like 3

cdsl810

Well, I keep a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield in a lock box under my truck seat when I travel. You just never know. And in my line of work I get into some pretty bad neighborhoods. I did not have it on the "crazy day". Future Horse hunting may require it. Who knew?

• Like 1

boovuc

Yup! That is without a doubt the strangest Wheelhorse Craigslist or Ebay adventure I have ever heard!
Makes me wonder if he listed it as a way to interact or control someone from outside his four walls.

cdsl810

Interestingly enough. His post has been deleted. There was one other guy looking at it the same afternoon.

I hope the tractor and the other guy got out OK!

squonk

You guys who mention guns bring up an interesting point that I tried to drill into my B-in law a while back. He's been known to fly off the handle at people. He runs a used car shop and no garages want to work on his cars anymore. Anyway my wife and I broke down in her car a few months back. We called him to give us a ride home. It was a Sunday evening around dinner time and she called AAA. They told her about 45 min. My BNL gets there and we wait. he mentions how long it's taking for the tow truck. I tell him when the guy gets there just stay in the car. Let him hook it so we can get home. Who knows where the guy is coming from and what he's doing when the call comes.

Tow truck gets there about an hour and 15 min. My BNL jumps out of the car. I stay in the car and think, here we go. Tow truck driver isn't out of his truck 10 seconds and he's screaming at him about being late. A 5 min. argument ensues until my BNL got back in the car. I read him the riot act and almost decided to walk the 14 miles home!

The point I was trying to make to him was with all the crazy stuff in this world today, you never know. That tow truck driver could have had a gun and been on something .who knows nowadays. If something bothers you just walk away. I told my BNL someday you going to piss off the wrong person and I'm going to be visiting you in the hospital or even worse.

• Like 3

Shuboxlover

("It puts the lotion on the skin" kind of weird)

This is seriously one of the funniest things I've seen posted on Red Square!!!!

Sorry for your losses, but without them, we wouldn't have gotten this little gem...

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JeffreyLKY

Ironically, I have bought and sold off Craigslist many times...from vehicles to boats, tires, and hammocks.  Never once have I experienced anything "weird" as a buyer, rather it is usually someone who clearly doesn't have the same level of OCD that I have.  For the most part, everything has been as promised and spot on.  As a seller, however, I have seen it all.  Quick example is when I tried to list a 1988 Ford Ranger XLT super cab 4x4 for $600.  The truck was a two owner, had some typical rust over the rear wheel wells, but ran and drove extremely well...$600.  Long story short, I got trade offers that I could hardly believe.  One local guy...get this...offered me three chickens and a porta potti for this vehicle.  I politely declined and told him that I really enjoy the chicken that Kroger and Costco sell, and that I live in KY and we received indoor plumbing and shoes like two months ago.  Sigh...this world is something else. 

• Like 6

squonk

Sort of related. I have one of those Thermos Grill to Go convertible grills for sale. It's on CL and I have it out front of my house with a sign on it. A guy stops today and doesn't even come to the door. He and his daughter proceed to take the grill apart without even asking if it was ok. They wanted to see how it folded up. :rolleyes: I had a window A/C unit out front a couple of years ago. Big For Sale sign on it. I heard a car pull up. By the time I got outside they had it in their trunk and were driving away. They even took the sign! :(

• Like 4

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Sort of related. I have one of those Thermos Grill to Go convertible grills for sale. It's on CL and I have it out front of my house with a sign on it. A guy stops today and doesn't even come to the door. He and his daughter proceed to take the grill apart without even asking if it was ok. They wanted to see how it folded up. :rolleyes: I had a window A/C unit out front a couple of years ago. Big For Sale sign on it. I heard a car pull up. By the time I got outside they had it in their trunk and were driving away. They even took the sign! :(

mike, that will have me laughing all day cause i have has a similar experience , to dam funny. Thank you for picking me up.

Glenn

• Like 1

varosd

I cant hear you Mike, let me turn down that A/C unit

• Like 6

Tuneup

We put all kinds of things out at the end of the driveway with a sheet saying FREE. It doesn't matter what it is, never lasts more than 15 minutes. Sold on craigslist to a young guy who arrived with 3 of his bros. Asked if he could take the Suzuki, my baby, around the neighborhood. I flashed the 1911 and told him to bring it back or their truck was mine. Scared the #$% out of 'em so that makes me the craigslist weirdo. They paid cash and I kept in touch with him for a couple of years. Found an old Kawi for my son on craigslist. Arrived up in Cherokee GA at dusk and at the end of the drive it said "Police shall go no further". Large STOP signs and flashing lights on telephone posts. Stopped and walked it. Just a bunch of good 'ole boys working out of a semi trailer near the house. The old man had the bike for years but had just had knee surgery and the bike was titled. We're all a little odd :-)

• Like 1

squonk

I cant hear you Mike, let me turn down that A/C unit

Don, You've lost a heck of a lot of weight since then! I saw the guy's ham hock hanging out the window! :) :teasing-poke:

AMC RULES

Ironically, I have bought and sold off Craigslist many times...from vehicles to boats, tires, and hammocks.  Never once have I experienced anything "weird" as a buyer, rather it is usually someone who clearly doesn't have the same level of OCD that I have.  For the most part, everything has been as promised and spot on.  As a seller, however, I have seen it all.  Quick example is when I tried to list a 1988 Ford Ranger XLT super cab 4x4 for $600.  The truck was a two owner, had some typical rust over the rear wheel wells, but ran and drove extremely well...$600.  Long story short, I got trade offers that I could hardly believe.  One local guy...get this...offered me three chickens and a porta potti for this vehicle.  I politely declined and told him that I really enjoy the chicken that Kroger and Costco sell, and that I live in KY and we received indoor plumbing and shoes like two months ago.  Sigh...this world is something else. 

:hilarious:
Indoor plumbing, and shoes.  :handgestures-salute:

• Like 1

cdsl810

I didn't think this topic would have such staying power. I have a new one to share. I call this Craigslist Nightmare II...

So, last night I see a brand new post on CL. It was less than an hour old. It was for a sweet little C-125 Automatic, very clean, low hours. I did not hesitate to contact the seller immediately. The post had the dreaded "no text / no email" request, so I called and left a message. This morning, there still was no reply, so I called again... no reply... I called at lunchtime... no reply... I called at 2pm and 5pm... nothing. I don't get this, and it has happened to me several times. If you leave specific instructions to CALL, then ANSWER your damn phone, or at least respond to any messages regarding the sale of your item. WOW. I have a trailer, I have cash, you have a tractor to sell... what is the problem?

I just checked CL. The post is still up, nobody has bought the tractor. And if you sold it, take down the post instead of just ignoring every call coming it.  C'MON... I'm jumping up and down with cash in my hand----------> it's like trying to buy something from a brick wall. This seems to happen a lot on CL.

At least this weekend I didn't have to deal with a seller that couldn't answer his door because he was in a straightjacket.

Edited by cdsl810
  • Like 3

squonk

Happens all the time. I'll call like 10 times. No answer. I'll leave messages, I want it, I can come today ect.ect. After a few days of this, the ad will get deleted.

• Like 1

Lagersolut

I'll add another one as a seller - put an add in to sell a car , girl calls ask about the details etc we go over that .....then we switch gears to - she never got along with her mother , brother just lost his job, child just flunked a test at school , they cut my hours at work , my boyfriend left last week haven't seen him since, I think he's with my best friend - had a cold last week - I'll need to find a ride - I had a car but since boyfriend left couldn't afford it the bank took it - I only have 200 dollars will you take that - I can make payments and eat supper at Aunt Jane's place for awhile ...this crap was one long sentence that went on and on about every single solitary problem this  girl  had for 10 years with every person she ever came in contact with .......good grief ....literally couldn't get a word in for 10 15 minutes ....as a person I don't like conflict and I don't like being rude,  so the nicest way I knew how told her I'm sorry you're having problems but if you don't have the money I can't help you .....

This girl needed a counselor more than a car.

Good lord .

• Like 2

Jake217
"It puts the lotion on the skin" 

Oh Man, now I'm going start with the "Silence of the Lambs" nightmares all over again.

cdsl810

I hope that I can buy another WH without someone snacking on my brain.

• Like 3

N3PUY
I had a Wheel Horse for sale last month on a local classified site for $180.  .... I got a call ... he wanted details ... he wanted the tractor ... says he's a little short on cash but has $35 !

End of conversation!
  • Like 4

squonk

For $35 tell him to go out for a sammich and a coke! :lol:

• Like 1