Horse46

C 101 refresh n motor swap

Horse46

I have posted some stuff of what I've been up to in the Euro section, but I think most people only look here so I'm starting another here.

Ok so this is what has happened so far.. Some of you may know I bought another C series 161 8 spd. It is a bit rough but I only really wanted the motor as I felt the 10hp struggled a bit with the 42" deck.

Pictured are both pre refresh, the 161 is't getting done, it will be sold later with or with out the 10hp motor.

IMG_4674.JPG

IMG_4873.JPG

• Like 3

AMC RULES
Yeah, love that :wh: 101.
      :text-woo:

Horse46

My plan was to get the 101 running nice and just use as is, but I guess you all know how it is?
The 161 was only 4 miles  away so I couldn't resist going for a look.
This is the bit I'm after, it has an oil leak but it now after a bit of fiddling seems to run fine. I'll deal with the leak when I pull it out.
The starter has seen better days, the teeth are a bit damaged, if its compatible I may change them over.

IMG_4875.JPG

Edited by Horse46
  • Like 1

Horse46

I'm lucky enough to have some access to a workshop, and have utilised the sand blast machine.
So far I done the rear cover, seat support plate and spring bars, the foot boards and belt cover, the opposite side cover, the piece over the sticks. I would have done the bonnet/hood but it was to big for the cabinet .
Some bits have ben primed already, 

IMG_4890.JPG

IMG_4891.JPG

IMG_4896.jpg

IMG_4898.jpg

I've painted the hood (all rattle cans) quite pleased with the finish, no filler just primer an good ole hand sanding. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

Pullstart

looks nice!  what is the difference between 161 and 101 other than 6 horses?

meadowfield

Wow!

fast work....

:thumbs:

Edited by meadowfield

Horse46

looks nice!  what is the difference between 161 and 101 other than 6 horses?

Nothing that I can see, the 161 had lights. 

Did a bit more today. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

Horse46

Busy day today, got a fair bit done.
I made the decision that the motor swap is go, so I made a start on getting things ready, as well as prepping the dash tower for paint. I'm not going to do a full strip of the tower just repaint as is.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Horse46

Can anyone tell me how to remove the front motor mount, I can't get in there at all?

Also does the 16hp sit on the same base as the 10hp, if that's the case then I won't have to remove it?

Last question, are the starter motors the same between models?

cheers. 

doc724

Front motor mount-do you mean the piece bolted to the frame?  You have to remove the front axle to get at the bolts as I remember.

bmsgaffer

Can anyone tell me how to remove the front motor mount, I can't get in there at all?

Also does the 16hp sit on the same base as the 10hp, if that's the case then I won't have to remove it?

Last question, are the starter motors the same between models?

cheers. 

Yep, axle has to come out.

Not 100% sure, but fairly certain they use the same size plate, so the mounting points on frame are the same.

Again, not 100% sure, but fairly certain the starters are the same.

Horse46

Finished off the primer tonight, I was going to throw some paint around but the temp was down, and I'm just being impatient, which is normal for me.

I've removed the front wheels and hopefully will get time to blast them tomorrow.

image.jpg.e77337b3f261a8fdd06e9f5fd4ed18

Edited by Horse46

Horse46

I can't figure out why my pictures are the wrong way up, I've got the phone the right way up, they are the right way up on my laptop and if you click to full size they are the right way up, so why o why do they appear side ways?

WNYPCRepair

I can't figure out why my pictures are the wrong way up, I've got the phone the right way up, they are the right way up on my laptop and if you click to full size they are the right way up, so why o why do they appear side ways?

I found that opening them and saving them on the computer before uploading made the rotation issue fix itself. Didn't change anything, just opened and saved.

Horse46

I found that opening them and saving them on the computer before uploading made the rotation issue fix itself. Didn't change anything, just opened and saved.

Thanks, i'll give that a try next time.:)

Horse46

As the weather warmed up this afternoon I thought I would have a go at painting some more of the tractor. Mixed bag of results really, a bit of orange peel on one, a run on another, and then I ran out of paint.
I also manged to strip the front wheels and give them a coat or three of primer.

IMG_4938.JPG

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Horse46

image.jpg.db4b9ff11727db8895462ce33c8321image.jpg.75b1dfa6a025c18c99b0e2417b4a77I pulled the motor out of the 161 today, I was surprised as I think it is lighter than the 10 hp ??
the starter motor is in need of some tlc but I'm using the other one, as well as a few other bits n pieces. 
I also gave the red a second coat after flattening off. Plus painted one wheel. 

Edited by Horse46
  • Like 1

c-series don

Looking good keep the pics coming!

Horse46
image.jpg.b36d22b141fd378bcafd845c2371e3image.jpg.40807ec23c29d9edd2b73bf62c6b8e Edited by Horse46
  • Like 1

Horse46
image.jpg.a4e1c9147506eedfb1392d86fbe2e0When I got the 16hp up on the bench I took off the cover, it was proper gunged up in there, so I got to cleaning.image.jpg.ea072779a96b82d0c3a9f79a629abe Edited by Horse46

Horse46
image.thumb.jpg.8c6dba580d9b5db11e76020cimage.thumb.jpg.e2d55b12fcd8f0109a8ffcb4image.thumb.jpg.02d20af0465333adb98e0df6I did a little more tonight. The wheel took some time in the blast cabinet, and I still had to sand off some parts before primer.
i also painted the coil bracket and one of the side steps. The top engine cover is going to take a bit of work, it's in poor shape.
my collection of rattle cans is getting bigger, I think I'll have used around 12 cans of red by the time I finish. It's a lot of paint but I'm not going to lacquer so it's going on thick.

image.jpg

I also started to reassemble some bits.image.thumb.jpg.4e5579387bf31a5134253c50

Edited by Horse46
  • Like 2

Horse46

Sprayed the last of the body parts tonight, and got one of the rear wheels finished. 
Still to do, Strip the paint from the other rear wheel, and prime n paint. Paint the other front wheel.
The top part of the engine cover is in poor shape, I would prefer to get another, but I'm guessing they don't come up to often for the 16hp so I'm doing the best I can with it.
I've started to reassemble some of the finished parts. 
I feel like I'm nearing the end of the re paint, which is good becuase its not my strong point. image.thumb.jpg.755aef8efb23e3770ba97e8e

Edited by Horse46

Horse46

I put in a shift tonight, got most of the tractor back together.
That was completely stressful, I wish there was a guide on how to fit the panels without scratching them. If I did it often enough I might write it myself.
I can't get the bottom bolt hole to line up on the belt cover, everything else is fine but that one is about 4mm out?IMG_4976.thumb.JPG.302b27bed0a4e3b836781IMG_4982.thumb.JPG.d90fa41cd424ad5d663e4

• Like 1

Horse46

I have an oil leak on the sump of the 16hp so I took the opportunity to order up a few bits n pieces I need when I ordered a new gasket. 
The motor mount rubbers are a bit perished, so I thought I would replace them to. 
 I asked for 4 and the reply back was £30.40, it wasn't until I got the invoice I saw that was each, not including VAT :eek:
I think I wil struggle on for now.

Edited by Horse46

Horse46

Result, someone just listed 4 isolation mounts of that auction site. Now on there way to the UK for just a little more than 1 new one.:D

• Like 1