ronhatch

CLEANING OUT POLY / PLASTIC GAS TANK

ronhatch

What is the recommended way to clean out the inside of the poly / plastic gas tank on my C-101 WH?  Thanks, Ron

pfrederi

Tri Sodium Phosphate (tsp)  the good stuff that used to be laundry detergent and dishwasher soap is an effective cleaner and will not hurt the plastic.  Warm water, tsp and a few rocks shake well.  Rinse well then make sure it is dry....

Edit:  Find TSP in the paint department

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

pacer

I've had a couple tanks the had this gosh awful tar stuff inside and it was STUBBORN! After going thru the usual treatments I ended up with lacquer thinner, adding about 4-5 oz, shaking real good and let sit over nite (oddly enough acetone wouldnt touch it). On about the third go-round it began to clear up. Needless to say fuel lines, pump and carb (couldnt save the carb) all had to go.

• Like 1

Tankman
Too much ethanol. Oh my.

After cleaning always use an ethanol stabilizer in your fuel, ethanol gas.

I often use 100LL, 100 octane low led gas. Available at a local airport.
Small aircraft cannot use ethanol fuel.

I also use Berryman B-12 in the fuel on occasion. Cleans the fuel system.

It is said, "Ethanol is the small engine mechanics' best friend."  They make more loot working on your engine.  
;)
  • Like 2

pfrederi

I've had a couple tanks the had this gosh awful tar stuff inside and it was STUBBORN! After going thru the usual treatments I ended up with lacquer thinner, adding about 4-5 oz, shaking real good and let sit over nite (oddly enough acetone wouldnt touch it). On about the third go-round it began to clear up. Needless to say fuel lines, pump and carb (couldnt save the carb) all had to go.

Were they plastic or metal tanks you used the lacquer thinner on??

• Like 1

pacer
"Were they plastic or metal tanks you used the lacquer thinner on??"

They were plastic - lacquer thinner wont damage that type plastic.

As a side note on tanks, I recently got a D-200 with the BIG metal tank that had been sitting for years. I asked the owner if he thought the tank was good and he said yes it had always been inside. Well yeah, but that didnt help the gosh awful "tank liner" crap that some one had used to try and stop a small leak. It had come loose all over inside with these large 'bubbles' pooched out over --- and it still had the leak!  I ran my high pressure washer inside of it and that mess wouldnt budge - I had to scrap the tank....
  • Like 1

Kegler

You might also try vinegar, the mild acid in it will loosen a lot of crud.

• Like 1