Solex

Book Reveiw

Solex

Good Afternoon:

I am interested in purchasing Straight From the Horse's Mouth, but would like to hear what members thought about it first? In addition, does any money from the proceeds go back to the maintenance  of the Red Square site?

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I believe it is a completely separate entity, not associate with Redsquare.

To put it short, if you like wheel horses for more than just a tool to mow the lawn with, then yes, it is well worth the money. :handgestures-thumbupright: And its on sale!

• Like 1

Racinbob
:text-yeahthat: A great book that every Wheel Horse fan needs to read.
  • Like 1

AMC RULES
Yep, a neat read...
definitely get yourself a
:wh: book, or two.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_0359.thumb.JPG.d86de3e8c3042d1ad7176
  Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

CasualObserver

The book is privately owned and published. The author is a member here, but the book was originally published long before RS existed.  The latest is the third edition (and according to the author the last). All of the information in the first and second editions is included in the third, they just progressively added additional and more in depth information. 

It is a good addition to the collection. Unique, and interesting. Part biography, part company history and part technical. Unique opportunity the author had to actually meet, interview and befriend the man who founded the company and helped shape the industry of the riding mower.

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

Yes, the book is worth it. But realize that there is not much information for the '80s. And nothing for the Toro years.

• Like 2

953 nut

I was delighted with the book. Mike is a member here and from time to time he has furnished the club with copies for fund raising raffles. When you see the quality of the book you will find the price is justifiable.

• Like 1

GlenPettit

There are some New - NOS copies of the first edition available at Amazon right now (some Wheel Horse collectors purchased several copies):
Screen%20Shot%202015-07-27%20at%209.23.1

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 2

AMC RULES
:omg: Just sittin' here wondering...    
who sets those crazy prices?  
:roll:
  • Like 1

neil

Awesome book & a great investment  , The author Michael Martino spent a massive amount of time & effort bringing the series of books together and the books are a must for every WheelHorse enthusiast .

remember to buy 2 books , one for reading and one for saving for investment.

• Like 1

Solex

Thanks for all of the responses, I will take your recommendations and buy the book!

• Like 1

DennisThornton

The comments here do a good job to describe the book and it looks like it would be a good investment no matter what.  My 2 cents is that the quality is fabulous, paper, binding, pictures and content!  But some might be expecting to much so pay attention to shallowwatersailor's comments.  It's more about the company's history than an encyclopedia about their tractors, especially the later years.  Lots on the early ones, particularly the 2 wheels and even push reel mowers!  I had no idea Pond sold reel mowers!

Dennis Thornton