KC9KAS

Loaning a GT

KC9KAS

My dad has a New Holland lawn tractor and he and my brother have put hundreds if not thousands of hours on this thing since 2000.
Now the engine is in bad shape and they have a "parts" tractor and my brother says he will swap engines.....some time...

My brother just came over and asked "do you have a mower I can borrow"? Kind of hard to say no when he knows I have 10 running GT's several with mowing decks!
Guess I could give him the push mower :ROTF:

• Like 6

GlenPettit

It's not very often that they come back "the same", go by your Gut Feeling on loaning your tractor.
Sometimes it may take weeks or months to finally find out 'what's different' after you get your loaner back.
I would much rather go and cut their grass myself, and not if they are doing commercial grasses (other peoples), "no-way".
Plus, you never know how long it may gone and hours per day it may be used.  You know your own brother best.

• Like 3

slammer302

I've had bad experiences when loaning my horses Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Brian01

Hey slammer, could I barrow your college tion for a century or two? lol

AMC RULES
He doesn't have a :wh: of his own?   :confusion-shrug:

Brian01

If you are referring to me, lol, yes I have a couple....bought one if them from slammer302 actually.

KC9KAS

If you are referring to my brother, NO....he lets dad buy the mower then he uses it!
But that is what dads brother did with grandpa's mowers!

• Like 2

JPWH

When my brother asks to borrow something he really means donate. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't. 

• Like 1

muz123

One time i let someone borrow my 312-8 and the next month when i was going to pick it up it was sitting in tall grass in bad shape. Needed a carb cleaning ect. It was really nice when i loaned it to him too.

Edited by muz123

Tankman

Some of the push reel mowers do an excellent job!

My Horses stay in "my" old barn. I love my Horses and they know I feed 'em non-ethanol fuel.

• Like 3

Sparky

Everybody's brother is different....I would loan a tractor to my brother (or father) without a second thought, but I know they wouldn't abuse it.
How about loaning him a machine and then "donating" a Saturday to get the motor swap done in the New Holland. You'll get your Wheel Horse back much quicker that way :eusa-think:  and get some quality time with your brother and father.
Mike.............

• Like 4

Ken B

In some cases one might be able to say no to a brother, but no to a Dad? I Know I could never turn down my Dad.... I know there are a lot of people out there that don't value these red machines the way we do but it is what it is... I'm pretty lucky that I come from a very mechanical family that knows how to take care of things...

rmaynard

If I loan something to my brother, it usually stays there until I call and ask to get it back. However, if I loan something to my brother-in-law, he returns it as soon as he is done, cleaner, and in better condition than when it left. 

Never have been asked to lend a GT. 

• Like 1

GlenPettit
Bob:
You mean your 'brother-in-law' is just like you ?
Wished you lived closer, 'cause you are very welcome to borrow anything I have (even money, but not my wife).
Glen

• Like 2

KC9KAS

Dad is 82 and wouldn't be much help, and it would be hard for my brother to stay out of the bar long enough for an engine swap!

rmaynard
Bob:
You mean your 'brother-in-law' is just like you ?
Wished you lived closer, 'cause you are very welcome to borrow anything I have (even money, but not my wife).
Glen

Aw shucks.  Thanks Glen.

Wheel-N-It

Dad is 82 and wouldn't be much help, and it would be hard for my brother to stay out of the bar long enough for an engine swap!

Sounds to me like you are caught between a rock and a hard place. Maybe it would be best for you in the long run to do whatever mowing has to be done yourself. Its not easy being the responsible one in the family. I should know................

• Like 1

cdsl810

I let my in-laws borrow the 520-H for some work around their property that the big box lawn tractor just couldn't do (currently not running by the way). I took it up to them on Thursday last week. Just got a phone call today...
They were mowing with it and hit three stumps. I won't know what the damage is until I take a look myself. This was a pristine 520-H with a perfect 48" side discharge deck (575 hours on the ticker). My baby is injured!

I can only imagine what the Onan at top speed is capable of doing to any number of instantly decelerated mower deck parts, belts, etc. I was informed that the engine never stalled, but there is now a really loud rattle. 

At least I now have a 522xi to ease my anxiety...

bmsgaffer
:eusa-doh: Sorry to hear about the 520! Sounds like the damage could be localized to the deck, may need some bearings or spindle parts. Hopefully the deck shell isnt tweaked!
  • Like 1