dtoeppe85

Picked up an RJ this weekend

dtoeppe85

Picked up a RJ35 over the weekend. The guy I bought it from says it's a 1955. It has a K91 engine, that runs pretty good, and has a 5003 transmission. From the little research I've done, I found that the 5003 trans was a dealer installed option. The trans is dated 024-9. The tractor is in decent shape, came with 2 good decks, deck belt cover and a homemade hitch. Needs a few things like a drive belt cover, correct seat, exhaust shield, steering wheel has a chunk of the rubber missing, one hub has an broken tab and uses a through bolt, etc.

Right now, I'm having issues with the belt/trans. There is not enough slack in the belt when the pedal is pressed to stop the drive pulley from rotating, thus I cannot shift in to gear. I bought a bit longer belt, but that did not work. Any thoughts on what the issue could be?

And as always, here are a few pictures.
IMAG0746.thumb.jpg.351b7a434608e639da045rj_1.thumb.jpg.41561decd47a974dfe13391afrj_5.thumb.jpg.c3c264ddd020613b80baefd39rj_3.thumb.jpg.e88aa5449647b2dff5ca50b82rj_6.thumb.jpg.c77d9dfd0d8b71521d6476480

• Like 4

stevebo

Very nice !! This is one of those RJ35's converted over to the 58' trans. Vinsrj and Clay (rj35 hunter) can tell you much more about this. 

• Like 3

muz123

Nice find! Looks to be all original.

Wishin4a416

You got a Dandy there!!

woodchuckfarmer
A belt guard will help with your shifting problems.------Wayne

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Nice looking machine, I looked at this one several years ago but the guy decided not to sell it and then see he did. lol It was definitely built out of a rj35 and a rj58, but is hard to say for sure if it was an actual dealer conversion as I have been told you got the angle iron frame in the kit. Either way, its a cool tractor and I almost took it home myself if he would of been in the mood to sell it when I went there, but got a 400 from him when I was there.

dtoeppe85

Thanks everyone!

Jake - So the kit came with the angle iron frame and the transmission and all of the other components from another tractor? Any info you could share would be great.

• Like 1

CasualObserver

You need some belt guides on the engine to create that slack that you're looking for. There are some old topics about them if you search for them. Otherwise I'm sure someone can repost the pictures.