Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

what do you consider a wheel horse

MaineDad

I too agree with Terry. The Classic line of Toro Wheel Horse tractors are just as much a Wheel Horse as their ancestors. My 1996 314-8 is as much a WH as my C-160.

Rod(NASNUT)

I don't see this as arguing, but more playful banter. The subject is kinda interesting to me to see what others think.

I know that but some new members may not see it that way.

linen beige

I know that but some new members may not see it that way.

Are we arguing over whether or not we're arguing? :hide: I prefer the term "Spirited discussion." And I too find it interesting.

By the way, the first of the "Work Horses" were NOT lower quality machines built for a reduced price crowd. The 953, 1054, and 1054As that were marked, advertised, and sold as "Work Horses" were heavier, more powerful, top of the line machines aimed at the commercial market. And they were RED.

I feel that anything that came out of any factory with the name "Wheel Horse" on it IS a Wheel Horse. Some models may not compare favorably with other Wheel horse models, but I think we might all agree that all would compare more than favorably with the other makers products they were designed to compete with.

T-Mo

terry.. maybe i should of said any wheel horse that said wheel horse on it

the second part was that i ment that i would go to mtd headquarter and take picture by the track , that they test all of their crap at , and post it for all here to see.

my family call it ........ modern tool and died.....

I wasn't referring to your Wheel Horse reference, it was the "MTD Guy" thing. Those are fighting words..... :hide:

Oh, and btw, I meant no disrespect to the "gray" Work Horses. They're Wheel Horses in my book. But, Greg does bring up a good question (I don't think I've seen this one yet), why did Wheel Horse give the Work Horses the new hood design. I think, that the C series might have already picked up the fender deck design in '84 (probably because the plastic fenders weren't holding up too well).

kpinnc

Oh boy, I'm gonna take this into a whole different level... :hide:

I think a Wheel Horse is- simply put, a garden tractor. How would I describe a Wheel Horse garden tractor? Like this:

1. ANY Wheel Horse or Work Horse model, with a horizontal shaft engine, regardless of engine manufacturer.

2. WITH a 3 (4), or 6 (8) speed Unidrive transmission or cast iron encased, hardened steel gear transaxle, including Sundstrand and Eaton equipped hydros- With the only exemption to this rule being for the older Pond RS and RJ models.

3. WITHOUT any type of a "stamped" tub-like/MTD/WHITE/lawnmower frame.

4. Rule number 3 is the basis for rule number 4- All Wheel Horses, regardless of configuration, have a WELDED steel frame.

5. As a final requirement, again excluding older Pond RS/RJ machines- All Wheel Horses have cast iron axles in the front.

Now I know some folks like vertical shaft tractors made or sold by Wheel Horse. I further understand that MOST of these were in fact built more sturdily than your garden-variety MTD, BUT- they are not garden tractors. They are lawn mowers.

Let the SARs (smart-a$$-remarks) begin... I'm a big boy, so bring it. :D

Kevin

mcwh1950

Oh boy, I'm gonna take this into a whole different level... :hide:

I think a Wheel Horse is- simply put, a garden tractor. How would I describe a Wheel Horse garden tractor? Like this:

1. ANY Wheel Horse or Work Horse model, with a horizontal shaft engine, regardless of engine manufacturer.

2. WITH a 3 (4), or 6 (8) speed Unidrive transmission or cast iron encased, hardened steel gear transaxle, including Sundstrand and Eaton equipped hydros- With the only exemption to this rule being for the older Pond RS and RJ models.

3. WITHOUT any type of a "stamped" tub-like/MTD/WHITE/lawnmower frame.

4. Rule number 3 is the basis for rule number 4- All Wheel Horses, regardless of configuration, have a WELDED steel frame.

5. As a final requirement, again excluding older Pond RS/RJ machines- All Wheel Horses have cast iron axles in the front.

Now I know some folks like vertical shaft tractors made or sold by Wheel Horse. I further understand that MOST of these were in fact built more sturdily than your garden-variety MTD, BUT- they are not garden tractors. They are lawn mowers.

Let the SARs (smart-a$$-remarks) begin... I'm a big boy, so bring it. :D

Kevin

sears and roebucky

T-Mo

With a Kohler Horizontal Shaft belted to a cast Iron Uni-drive Transaxel, I'd still consider this a wheel Horse. http://www.toro.com/home/tractors/classic300/3158.html Are they still making these?

In a word, no. They're out of production. Some dealers may still have one in stock, but that's becoming more and more unlikely as the stock is dwindling up.

See this thread as the final unit(s) come off the assembly line:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=569&hl=

Butch

If it's made by Wheel Horse (owned by Pond, AMC or Toro) it's a Wheel Horse.

:D To think Wheel Horse was owned by the people that gave us the

Gremlin and the Pacer! :hide:

Brian1045

Gremlin and the Pacer!

:hide: :D

saguaro

:hide: To think Wheel Horse was owned by the people that gave us the

Gremlin and the Pacer! :hide:

Don't forget AMC Jeep with it's Peogeot trans. :D

jerrell

:hide: :horseplay: :D

Boy , aren't we proud to be an american, i love this spirited debate, i don.t know what to call mine, i bought a work horse, frame and eaton auto, has a honds LP engine, with parts from every model you can think of, all painted the wheel horse red, (haven't figured out the finishing touches yet) it is a congomarate of all the horses plus new parts, I call it the GT-LP work horse?????????

rustbucket

T-Mo i am sorry i typed to quickly and made a false statment what you sid is acctualy what i ment

Buzz

Don't forget AMC Jeep with it's Peogeot trans. :hide:

During that time frame they also designed and made a few prototype Wheel Horse Jeep Lawn Mowers.......:D .... Yep, I saw one at the Wheel Horse Show. I have a picture of it but can't access photo bucket here at work to post it. Nick might have the same photo.

jerrell

:banana: Buzz , i just bought one of those jeep looking mowers, mine is a ROOF, i wish i could find the hood for it, got everthing else, putting a 20 hp onan on it. has hydro but wish i had a gear shift, :hide:

Now a Wheel Horse Jeep ,,,,, I could go for that....

T-Mo

T-Mo i am sorry i typed to quickly and made a false statment what you sid is acctualy what i ment

Jason,

No problem. I was thinking you just mistyped or misrepresented yourself. But, for those who may not know, I wanted to make the clarification. There are some who actually may think that MTD has the rights to Toro lawn tractors. Though with Toro's poor decision to contract MTD, it's bad enough.

JimD

a true wheel horse is..... red,....and has a wheelhorse decal on it. other than that, it is for each of you....whatever mows your grass....plows the garden.... plows or blows the snow.....and gives each owner that sense of pride and satisfaction that he has the best danged garden tractor/mower ever built. any questions?

jim with four, and lookin for more! :hide:

curly

Guys I have several questions that I need answered such as What year did Toro purchase Wheelhorse? Was there big changes made by Toro to Wheelhorse after purchase such as design and structure? Do anyone on here have knowledge of what the older Toro mowers looked like or designed? And 1 more question I have not been on here much and seem to be missing TT--What goes with him? curly

Butch

dgjks6

I have a 1989 according to the model number (but I swear we got it in 1987 or 1988) and it was the last year that only said wheel horse on the sticker, but Toro bought wheel horse in 1986.

As far as I can tell the design of the 300, 400, and 500's never changed after the purchase - until they were discontinued in 2007 with the last classic GT.

There were some engine changes as the early 400's and 500's - and correct me if I am wrong - did not have the Onans.

Which leads me to another question - is a Toro Power Plus engine an Onan?

HorseFixer

Any tractor I own, :hide:

Nick

The 400 series tractors had both Onan and Kohler engines but all 500 series were Onan (Toro power plus) engines. The 520 came out 2 years after Toro Purchased Wheel Horse but cant say Ive ever heard if the design was on the drawing boards before hand or if it was a Toro designed upgrade to the classic line. The 500 series ran from 88 to 97.

Guess I could add there was the model 512-D that had a 12hp diesel but it was really a 300 series and from all accounts only sold overseas.

Butch

I have a 1989 according to the model number (but I swear we got it in 1987 or 1988) and it was the last year that only said wheel horse on the sticker, but Toro bought wheel horse in 1986.

Straight from the Horses Mouth says Toro aquired the company in 1986.

rustyoldjunk

so besides the briggs engine,what part of the work horse tractors of the 80's were cheaper then the standrd WH? on another note best i can tell other then minor changes the chasis/transaxles/front axles/steering were basicly the same from the very early 60's to the last of the classics.speaking only garden tractors here not lawn mowers.

james

this reminds me of the classic CAR shows. for years now, we've fought about the pt cruiser and other cars like the hhr coming to classic car shows. they're brand new cars designed after the originals. the owners of the pt cruisers and hhr's think they can bring them and show them at the classic car shows. they're not classics if they're made BRAND NEW.

as for tractors, i'm not offending anyone i hope, i'm new and not as knowledgable about wheel horses as probably anyone on here but i think a wheel horse says wheel horse on it. otherwise, say it's not a wheel horse but has the same parts :hide: