Eric T

867 Axles and hubs

Eric T

My axles and left rear hub on my Wheel Horse 867 are wore out. The splines on the end are ground flat, and will not stay in trans housing. 
The tractor is a 3 speed with low and high. Looking for 1 1/8" by 11 1/8 axles and seals. My first post. Thank you

Eric T

I also would like to know if a 1965 lawn ranger 3 speed with reverse trans. is compatible with the 867? Any information will help. Thanks! 

Terry M

Eric, welcome to the:rs:.  Do you have any pics of what you have??  Also, just curious what you doing with this tractor to cause these issues?

Eric T

The 867 has done a lot of mowing on a large rough and hilly yard. Rear wheel was loose at woodruff key screw, over time, axle end has become worn. 

stevasaurus

The axle length may  be an issue.  If they are not the same, and some of the Section III transmissions have longer axles for wider tires and a difference in the fenders.  A quick measurement between the tires will let you know if the length is an issue.  :)  Other then that, it should bolt right in.  The lawn ranger trans probably has 1" axles, you will need the hubs for 1" if that is the case.

BTW, Welcome to Red Square  :)  Racinfool40 may have your axles.  I sent him a Personnel Message on your behalf, he may get back to you when he sees the message.  :)  Your transmission, if original to your horse, is a Wheel Horse # 5060...which is a 10 pinion, limited slip differential.  The axles in your trans are different lengths...I believe the axle on the input shaft side (right) is longer then the brake shaft side axle (left).  The right hand is 12" and the left hand is 11 1/4".

Have you taken this transmission apart yet?  I did a thread on this trans with videos...if you have not seen it, it is in the reference section on the main page in transmissions.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

Terry M

Eric,  are the internal are ok? is it just the one end of one axle at the hub that is worn?

Eric T

Steveasaurus,
Thanks for the needed info on the 867 trans.. The axle I need is the left one and is 11 14" long. Have not taken the original  trans. apart yet. I also have a 876 Wheel Horse that partially restored. I may have a few questions 
for that one when I start working on that. I'll take a look at your videos. Those will help.Thanks again,Steve

Eric,  are the internal are ok? is it just the one end of one axle at the hub that is worn?

Terry,
The trans. works well and shifts well. Looks like I need axle bearings as well. Missing a few needles on the one side.

Edited by Eric T

stevasaurus

Here is the transmission manual...your #5060 trans is in Section III...
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/57786-867-axles-and-hubs/
All of the bearings and seals are available...except the #1533 ball bearing.  The gasket for the trans halves is available from TORO for about $6.  Take some pictures of the parts you think are suspect so we can see them.  It sounds like your axle pulled out...it is held in by a "C" clip in the differential.  Your axle may actually be OK, but instead, you need an axle gear.  :)  I like to get my bearings and seals from Motion Industries...but NAPA may have them also.  There is a Crossover bearings and seals thread pinned at the top of this transmission section.

I just picked up an 876 a few weeks ago.  Great horse.  :)

• Like 1

squonk

Long Lake Maine or Minnesota? My Dad grew up on Long Lake Maine.:text-welcomeconfetti:

Eric T

MN. Mike

Eric T

Steve,
Here are two photos of axle and wheel hub.

WH 867 Axle Shaft1.jpg

WH 867 Axle Shaft2.jpg

• Like 1

Shynon

Looks like the end of the splines to hold on the c clip broke off, I would find a new/used axle and hub and replace if rest of trans is good. Also double set screw the hubs.

By the way :WRS:from a fellow Minnesotan

Tom

• Like 2

stevasaurus

What does the wood ruff key slot look like in the other end of that axle??  The RJ's and early 3 speed uni-drives did not use "C" clips...they had a hole drilled in the end of the axle with a roll pin.  If you can't find an axle...that is an option...3/16" or 1/4" hole and roll pin...the gear part looks good on your axle.  BTW, if the key way is bad on the other end...that can be fixed also.  Here you can see the roll pins in the end of the axles holding on the axle gears.  ")

2012_0115Jakes40007.thumb.JPG.bb229f7175

Edited by stevasaurus

Terry M

Eric ,  I have a 1 1/8 axle , good condition thats measures very close to 11 5/8"  .     If it will work, it's yours w/ no charge.

if interested let me know......

• Like 2