JamesC-120

Wheel horse RJ-58 stiff tranny

JamesC-120

I just rebuilt my RJ-58 transmission and got it put back in the tractor and then put the tires on. I tried to roll the tractor but it would not move. I pushed harder and it rolls but very stiff. I do not have an engine in it yet but all gears work properly and it does not make any weird noises. The brakes are not on. It has oil in it. What should I do? 

rickinmemphis

Same thing happened to me on my 654 transmission. I secured the tyranny to a bench, Took a long belt and rigged it up to my PTO on my C-120. Started on low idle in Neutral and worked my way thru the gears. Still stiff but every thing turns by hand.

Jake Kuhn

Most likely the bushings are too stiff,and need to be honed. I have a 1" reamer I run through mine, and its usually best to check and make sure all of the parts will slide freely through the bushings before assembling. Unless it will come free by driving it you most likely will need to take it apart again. But if it will drive it will most likely only get easier as the bushings wear in.

• Like 2

JamesC-120

Well I will have the engine done this week so I guess I will try driving it a little then see how stiff it is. 

Thanks I will let you know how it turns out. 

JamesC-120

Well finally got it all together and tried it out and it is getting looser every time I drive it so it should be just fine. 

Thanks for the help

• Like 2