Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

8 inch tires on a 312 question

dgjks6

I am debating putting 8 inch tires on the front of my 89 312. I read that you had to change to 400 series spindles to do this to get it to ride level. I looked up the parts for an 89 414 and the spindle is the same part number as for a 312 (toro part number 113380 that is $32 dollars from jack's small engines).

Is there something else that I need to be looking for rather than just the spindle?

Greg

wh500special

greg,

if you replace your 6 inchers with 8 inchers you will need the shorter spindles to keep it level.

BUT you won't be able to use your 37" deck without the front wheels rubbing the leading edge of the deck.

I notice that the 416 you're looking at the the classifieds section might have the 6" wheels on it too which would maintain compatibility with your mower...

Steve

Butch

Greg I don't know if all the 400 series had 8" wheels or not. But I don't think any of the 300's had 8". I think they all had 6". So you would want the spindles that go

with the 8" wheels. I wanted the 8" for looks. But I'm gonna have a set of each.

Docwheelhorse

314's and 316's had 8" fronts..... at least thats what my owners manual says...

Tony