chorusguy

need ramps

chorusguy

OK.  Up to now I've been using 2 x 12 s for ramps but am not really comfortable with this solution plus they need to be replaced.  So I have looked in several places but can't get a good feel for what I need.  I have a c160 auto and think I weighs between 700&800 pounds.  I put it on a fairly low trailer but the deck hangs up in the lip of the trailer when I load it.  So the ideal ramps would be portable, would carry the weight,  and would enable the tractor to enter the trailer without hanging up.  What do you suggest?

redhead

I got a pair from tractor supply, they are made out of alum. and suppose to support around 1000lbs. have had no problems with them  have loaded mower and lawn roller filled with water. roller made out of 14" dia pipe and 36" long

squonk

Yes get aluminum. I got a pair of steel ones. Not only are they heavy but they are finger pinchers! :violence-blades::confusion-seeingstars:

• Like 1

Kegler

I have an aluminum, folding,  set that is rated at 1000# and have a slight arch which helps with clearance, Got them at Harbor Freight

shallowwatersailor

After my accident with my trailer's gate and seeing photos of Bob Maynard's wild ride, I plan on using ramps when I am finally up and about. The gate on the trailer is 48" but I plan on buying at least the 90" Reese aluminum 3,000 pound-rated, or more likely Northern Tool Five Star aluminum 5,000 - 10,000 pound 60" ramps due to having the 5xi which are 1,100-1,200 pounds bare. The Sure Trac trailer gate is removable so alterations to accommodate the ramps should be easy.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

KC9KAS

I have a pair of aluminum ramps that are rated at 1000# or more, don't remember.
They too have a slight arch and the arched ones really helps to load a tractor with mower.

953 nut
Regardless of what type of ramps you use be sure to have some pins from the ramp into the trailer to be sure they don't get dislodged when the mower deck or other items make contact with the end of the ramp. Several years ago while unloading my deck pulled one ramp off the trailer; I was on the ground in a millisecond, fortunately no injuries.
  • Like 1

shallowwatersailor

For safety sake, you should strap the ramp to the vehicle to prevent them getting dislodged.

• Like 2

baerpath

After my accident with my trailer's gate and seeing photos of Bob Maynard's wild ride, I plan on using ramps when I am finally up and about. The gate on the trailer is 48" but I plan on buying at least the 90" Reese aluminum 3,000 pound-rated, or more likely Northern Tool Five Star aluminum 5,000 - 10,000 pound 60" ramps due to having the 5xi which are 1,100-1,200 pounds bare. The Sure Trac trailer gate is removable so alterations to accommodate the ramps should be easy.

No tailgate should be 4ft unless it's for 4 wheelers. At 5ft the deck clears easily  If extending I'd suggest hinging the extra ft

KC9KAS

Right now, HARBOR FREIGHT has a set of tri-fold ramps rated @ 1500 for $80.....$70 savings!

shallowwatersailor

I did some rough calculations regarding my trailer. The deck is 18" high. The gate is actually 51" (I had thought it was 48") which is a 19.4 degree slope. A straight 60" ramp would be a 16.7 degree slope, and a 90" ramp would be an 11.3 degree slope. I think the best compromise would be a pair of ramps that are 72" long which would be a 14 degree slope plus I could store them across the front of the trailer by the tongue. Most of the quality ramps do have an arch to better accommodate an attached mower deck so the slope would actually vary at different points along the length. 

The higher quality ramps use a channel on the end to fit over a lip. The Sure Trac trailer uses 1" round stock as the hinge welded to the gate. I am thinking of trying either a 1" or 1-1/4" (if it would fit) 4140 steel round stock to act as the "lip."

KC9KAS

Also...Rural King has a 7 1/2' dual ramps rated at 1500# OR a tri-fold ramp for $100