snowmoboyle

1988 520-H Transaxle Belt Skip problem!

snowmoboyle

So I just sold my 88 520 tonight to a gentleman who drove 3 hours.  On his way here I finished up a couple little things that needed to be done - 

I knew there was a spring that needed to go somewhere connected to the tensioner pulley (the 88 had a "release" you could pull up for cold starts?).  I wasn't for sure where it went - found a place and with the spring there or not, the belt rides up on the edge of this pulley, and hops off.  Belt is worn looking, and has some fraying.  It just literally started doing this tonight - would a belt be bad enough to cause it to skip off, or is something weird going on?  The pulley was replaced last fall, and the tractor has been driven around since then with no problems.  This literally started tonight -

Just looking for some input, I put my word on it that it probably just needs a belt, so looking for some reassurance I was right?  

varosd

Do you have the belt routed correct? any pictures?
I had to replace the disengage lever (49) in the past.
Is the pulley inline with the other pulleys?
Drive belts do stretch over time and replacing it might might first step after ensuring everything else lines up.
hope the picture from my photobucket comes through. but 1988 520 parts break down available on multiple sites

520_zps595995e8.gif

• Like 1

DougC

I came across this thread and have an 88 520 also with a belt that seems to flop a bit and a belt disengage  lever with no knob that rattles and jumps around until you hold onto it and then things quiet down. I have a 95 520 that does not have this lever so I am not familier with how to use it, why to use it and how much noise and movement is normal for these to make.  Since we already have a picture above of lever 49 can knobs still be bought for these and what is the procedure for using the disengage. This is my next project as I have now repaired the charging system and tachometer thanks to the help of forum members. 

shallowwatersailor

To disengage the belt, the lever is pulled up and back until it catches. This was used on other models between '85 to '89 with the Eaton 11 as well. The purpose was to allow the engine to have an easier start in the winter without the drag of the cold transmission.

• Like 1

MalMac

Here's a service bulletin on correcting the rattle of the disconnect. Not really has anything to do with belt routing though.IMG.thumb.jpg.96d4f6ecfa50c6094437e688d3

• Like 1

cleat

My 416 was doing that belt jumping thing. Belt was in bad shape.

Installed new belt and has been fine since.

Cleat

• Like 1