Michael Geraci

Intermittent stalling/no spark

Michael Geraci

My 416-8 with a 216G has me stumped. About a month ago, it developed a stalling issue. Happens hot, or cold. PTO engaged or not. It may go 2 hours without stalling, it may do it every 10 minutes. It stalls as if your killing the ignition, so I know it's not fuel related. The only constant I found is when it's dying, if you turn the ignition off then on, it will relight. Every single time. First thing I did was replace the ignition switch. No dice. Then I tested every other switch. ( seat, pto, clutch etc) All good. So now I'm thinking ignition module, trigger, or coil. So I decided to see if the coil was getting power when it was stalling. I hooked up a test light to the "+ " side of the coil and as it was stalling, it was still getting power! So I figured it must be the coil, right? Wrong. $200 later, it's still stalling. Should I have been testing the " - " side of the coil? And why does on/off  of the ignition switch relight the motor. Thanks guys 

slammer302

i would check the the large plug between the engine and the dash tower i think its a 19 pin plug the little pins will come loose and start making the engine die when hitting bumps and at random times its very common

Michael Geraci

I'll look into that. Thanks

Michael Geraci

Everything looks good. I'm at a loss