snowmoboyle

88 520H vs 97 520H

snowmoboyle

I have a 88 520 tractor that I may end up parting out - but wondering how many parts are compatible with my 97?  The rear end? Just random thoughts, thinking the motor may be more usable to someone then a complete tractor, so I'd keep the rest for my other one :)

boovuc

The rear-end is the same as the 1997. (Eaton 1100). The motor is the same. (Onan P220).
PTO is the same. gauges, seat, seat-pan, hood, rear tires, etc. These are all the same. The front axle is different between the two and the gear-reduction steering is used on your newer tractor and is not on the older one.
And of course, the hydro lever is column mounted on your 1997. 

snowmoboyle

Thanks for the tips!

82Caddy

I might be interested in the 88 if the price were right ;)

bmsgaffer

Pto disk may be larger on the 97. They increased the size to accommodate the 60" deck sometime around 90.

The gearing in the rear end is different. If you need to replace the hydro pump/motor you will either have to change the gears with it or swap the whole rear end. 

cheesegrader

Seat mount/slider is different. Not compatable without re-drilling.
Carb on the '97 is that crappy California/EPA approved piece of junk that does not allow mix adjustment.
(Ask me how I REALLY feel about it!)  Damn near impossible to disassemble and clean.  
Foot trays are not the same, but can be swapped.  Cuts are different if you want to add a hydro pedal.
Front axle, drive linkages and cover plates changed when the drive lever moved onto the column in '90.  Steering changed to gear reduction in '91.
Steering wheel changed in '94.

• Like 1