nylyon

Idea for the 2016 WHCC show

AMC RULES
Exactly what I was thinking Karl...
the perfect Thursday, first day event.
  • Like 1

kj4kicks

Personally, I like the idea of an all day buy and custom build, not just the assembly of a stocker. Anyone can do that. No matter what, someone will end up with a great start to a one-of-a-kind machine!

• Like 3

JPWH

If the time frame and judging determines the winning team. Why not raffle off both tractors one each day. Proceeds to help support the next year build.

Edited by Hank01
  • Like 1

953 nut
The scrapheap idea is a good one, each team could get one part from it and attach it to the tractor prior to sourcing another part from the heap. Contributions could be made at any time by anyone who desires to. This would allow a team's supporters to salt the mine, but the other team could rob it first. That could add a bit of excitement.     :woohoo:
  • Like 2

kj4kicks

If the time frame and judging determines the winning team. Why not raffle off both tractors one each day. Proceeds to help support the next year build.

The 2nd place tractor is being donated to the WHCC for part of their raffle. The WHCC rules don't allow any other group or organization to hold raffles or sell shirts, etc. The raffle is one of the main sources of income for the WHCC, along with T-shirt and other club merchandise sales.

BPjunk

At the show we walked around and took a few pictures of custom/modified Wheel Horses, what we looked for mainly is what need/ reason was this machine built by the owner.  Now keep in mind that a "custom built" Wheel Horse could just mean the owner added two cup holders but I think what Eldon and others would like to do is build a custom/modified Wheel Horse that can do a special work task that a stock Wheel Horse could not do. Some of the "rat rod" Wheel Horses are neat and well built this can be easy to due being that one can bolt any part to the frame .
My Mighty Lawn Ranger Six Speed was built to have the extra gears to get the most amount of work from the 6hp Tecumseh engine and the rear axle brakes were added so the tractor would not spin the rear wheels while working in the culvert in my front yard. The 1/2 Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger I built was for driving around the Portland, IN, by welding two frames together I could haul parts and people at the same time in the show grounds.
On another note the put together/ scrap parts Wheel Horse could be done but even then time is an issue. Years ago I gave two brothers a (I think it was a Raider 10) a running Wheel Horse, drove it off the trailer Friday night took it all apart, cleaned it,  painted it and put the tractor back together (running and tuned) by Sunday night. .......... it's more parts then you think.

I do love my restored Wheel Horses but I'm a hot rodder at heart and like the custom/modified Wheel Horses too. It will be interesting to see just what shows up at the 2016 Wheel Horse Show

• Like 6

rjg854

I like the idea and would be more than happy to participate on a team.  I'm not all that knowledgeable on all the aspects of building these tractors, but what a great learning experience it would be. I'd like to know a lot more about rebuilding the kohler engines and transmissions.  The frames, steering and bodies are fairly straight forward. I've come to really like Wheel Horse, and the more experience I could gain would only fan the flames of this addiction.

• Like 1

AMC RULES
As an aside...how about the long distance award?  
I think it would be neat to recognize individuals who have traveled the greatest distance to attend our show.
  • Like 2

wallfish

I'm interested in participating. The show before this last one, my brother came to the show without a tractor so we bought all the parts at the show and built one. We did it right in the dirt road in front of our display area. It did take some time away from doing other things around the show but that kind of stuff is fun for me. We had a couple of spectators and few hecklers as we did it plus quite a few people stopped by to check it out so there was plenty of interaction going on. After getting it all together and dumping about a quart of water out of the engine, we had it running and driving. It actually ran pretty good without cleaning the carb and didn't smoke. Cost was about $375 but Jdogg (Jordan) hooked us up with some real good prices on the engine and MANY of the small miscellaneous parts which made it possible. We could've just bought a $250 or $300 tractor and drove away with it but doing it this way was MUCH more fun!  

• Like 8

AMC RULES
:text-yeahthat:  I heard from one of the hecklers...
it was pretty entertaining to just sit back and watch too. 
Sorry to have missed it first hand.
  :lol:

squonk

Heckle? Who me? I just wish I could have ' Caught the Moment" on camera! :laughing-rolling: :wacko:

• Like 3

AMC RULES
:text-yeahthat:   Me too. :banana-wrench:

nylyon

When the time gets closer, we'll begin to request teams.  The one thing to keep in mind is that the WHCC show is not a RedSquare event, and we must work within the guidelines of the WHCC show.  I think that if done right, this activity will compliment the show and give those who can not attend the show an activity to watch thereby (hopefully) bringing more participants for the next show!

• Like 3

HorseHead1089

I actually thought of doing it for myself for fun next year while walking through the parts barn...

nylyon

Well, it's a new year and just a few months away, I want to start to plan this.  Here's what we're going to need.

First and most importantly.  I need to have 2 teams.  These teams need to be dedicated individuals who commit to performing this activity.  Each team will receive $250.00 (unless sponsors, see below, give more).  Everyone is eligible to participate, however the team "captain" must be a member of RedSquare.  I would like to set a maximum of 5 people per team (unless the panel chooses otherwise), also as fair as possible

Second sponsors - If any of our vendors and or individuals would like to donate to the cause, you can donate anything (money, parts, coffee....) except labor.  My only request is that the donations be fair, so if you donate tires, you donate tires to BOTH teams equally. 

Finally - A panel.  This will be RS members who will help with the remaining planning and judging. The panel will be responsible for rules, and facilitating the final judging (whether they choose the winner or take a vote, up to them).  We will determine the length of the build, when it can start and completion times.  Remember the theme is "Customs" so this shouldn't be who can restore the best.

Again, the intent it to donate the losing tractor and the winner gets to keep the winning tractor.  The end result does NOT have to work, but it should have the appearance of being functional. 

So, let's have at it, who wants to lead 

Team "Bronco": 

Team "RJ":

Panel Members:

• Like 2

stevebo

I vote Wallfish and Charlie as team captains...

rtfbg

Just my .02  ..... 

Folks should start NOW putting "donation" parts in a box to bring to the show.

Hopefully there will be enough donation parts that RS would not have to fund the $500 

Donate BOTH tractors to the auction, winner being the one which gets the highest bid!!

I agree with the "too much else going on  to bother" line ...so if everyone was free to participate, on say a north-south type of competition, then no individual would be stuck missing the show to build a tractor.

The spray paint thing is crap, put the parts in a pickup and run down to a wide spot in the woods ... hell I've spray painted in my livingroom before!!

nylyon

So far we have no teams.... This could be a lot of fun!

Live4outdoors

You guys are costing me another day of work, I might have to be there Thursday just for this, that is a really great idea!

• Like 1

russellmc301

sounds like it will be a great time if it is planned.

• Like 1

stevebo

We need two team captains to step up here.... Once we have captains they can do some recruiting....:ph34r:

• Like 1

fireman

Although this is definitely right up my alley and I would love to be on a team, I won't be attending this years show. As most of us know, life eventually gets in the way in and it's my turn in the barrel.

My oldest is now 16 and in a technical high school for electrical. He has a job lined up for the summer working for a guy I went to school with who is an electrical contractor. He doesn't have his drivers license yet (not getting one anytime soon either), so I have to drive him to the guys house each morning. If he works out my friend will hire him on full time once he graduates. This is something I have to make happen because like me, I don't see him going to college (but thats ok because I think that's a huge waste of money unless your going for a specific degree like an Engineer, Nurse, PT, OT, Doctor etc.). My younger son is planning on following the older one. He has been accepted to the same Technical High School. He also wants to take electrical. So I have a plan formulating in my head. Once the older one finishes his apprentice time and gets his E2 then E1 the younger one will be finished with school and on his way to finishing his apprentice time. When they're both done with all that, I should be ready to retire from the FD and hope to start an electrical contractor business of our own. I'll run the business and help them out while they do the electrical work. It's a "plan" anyway we'll see how things go. In the mean time I have to do all that I can to make it happen and not going to the show this year is just one of those things.

• Like 6

wallfish
On 1/18/2016 at 8:32 AM, stevebo said:

I vote Wallfish and Charlie as team captains...

I'm not sure I can make the commitment at this time. I'm working a lot and also need to get my crap together just to build one or two to bring. Built quite a few customs over the years but all of them were sold.

One thing about doing this, is the need to use a welder. Can't build real customs without one or it's just bolt together stuff which really limits what can be done. I guess a 110v flux welder can be used but I don't have one. Not to mention the need for a safe area to use them. Lots of grinding and welding sparks fly around plus the bright light so all of that will need to happen away from people.

I wonder if building custom attachments may be a better idea. It should fit into the budget and not require a bunch of time, parts and materials. Certainly not as fun as a tractor but everyone can use attachments.

• Like 2

953 nut
16 minutes ago, wallfish said:

wonder if building custom attachments may be a better idea

Perhaps a "Rube Goldberg" attachment!

Rube+Goldberg+Machines.jpg    :ychain:

• Like 2

wallfish
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Perhaps a "Rube Goldberg" attachment!

Out of ONLY tractor parts!

Custom tractor Yard Art or Shop Art ?

Just thinking "out loud"

How about the Rube Goldburg never ending process across the infield? ANYONE can help or add any tractor parts to the machine in order to continue the process and see how far we can get it to go?

• Like 2