SPINJIM

Engine Rebuilder in Southeastern PA ?

SPINJIM

I have a C120 with a K12 that needs some rebuilding.   Sounds like a crank shaft bearing.   No smoke:  engine runs, but with a loud knock.

I have a local Toro / ex-Wheel Horse dealer that can rebuild it, but he tends to be very expensive.   I've heard that there are some local shops in Southeastern PA between Lancaster and Philly.    Anyone know of one they'd recommend?     I heard about an Amish run shop east of Lancaster that's very reasonable, but don't have a name.   I know there are a lot of Red Square members nearby, but don't have your phone numbers.   Any help would be appreciated.
   Jim

Fordiesel69

You cannot afford a shop these days and not exceed the units value.  Its sad, but the ovrehead to keep a shop running is high.

Lagersolut

If you can handle tearing the motor down to the block leaving the valves, crank and piston intact , Napa in East York PA has a machine shop and does Kohler engines - you will need to let them get all your measurements/damage etc  before ordering parts .

Here's the link - they did my K241 (  3 years ago )  and I have no complaints .

They'll give you a time frame of when they'll do it , he likes to get more than one in a run before he does them.

http://www.napaonline.com/pa/york/automotive-of

SPINJIM

I have no trouble tearing the engine down.   It's the valve grinding and the possible re-boring that I don't have the equipment to do.  
Thanks for the info.   If I can't find someone closer, I'll give them a call.
   Jim

Theroundhousernr

What area are you from. I am near reading pa and have a few people to recommend. I know an older gentleman thats been doing it all his life and I don't think he has ever raised his shop rates lol

• Like 1

SPINJIM

What area are you from. I am near reading pa and have a few people to recommend. I know an older gentleman thats been doing it all his life and I don't think he has ever raised his shop rates lol

I'm just outside of Oxford, PA at the southern end of Route 10.    I'm willing to drive an hour to Reading area for a good rebuild.
   Thanks,  Jim

Fordiesel69

Jim,

Can you measure the cylinder?  If it is not out of spec, (which is probably is by now) you could hone it with a harbor freight hone.  If it is the knock that concerns you, it is mostly likely an out of round crankpin + worn rod.  It would be worth pulling the crank and shipping it somewhere to get reground.

Live4outdoors

There's an Amish shop that does big tractor engines, I assume small as well up off route 30 east of Lancaster, but they aren't all that cheap, but I'm sure better then a dealer if interested I can get their info, they did work for us years ago and it was excellent.  Just have to try to look them up again, let me know via message and I will get back to you.  I also have two friends in the business at the buck, not sure if they do everything in house or not but can check.  Let me know if interested in either and I can get info.