BESTDOGEVER

replacement engines for 518h

BESTDOGEVER

Has anyone had any success  with  the  predator  engines  in the  500 series  horses

BESTDOGEVER

Thanks  for  the  info  I  may just swap  that  money  pit  out

boovuc

BDE,

I would look for a Kohler Magnum replacement in your local Craigslists and online classifieds. I do like what was done with the C-175 and the Preditor 22HP engine but for even cheaper money and an engine with a solid reputation, look for "TWIN" Magnum 16's, 18's and 20's that had been on some cubs and some Sears GT5000 and GT6000 tractors. Both models came with vertical and horizontal shaft engines. These are also on many other Garden Tractors too. You just need to find what will match up to a WH PTO. Some of the cub cadets had larger diameter cranks than the inch and an eighth on the wheelhorse. You can always use an inch diameter shaft with a sleeve and over-sized key which are available on ebay.

I like that Predator Engine and Honda parts are "suppose" to swap out on them but they are Chinese and they are not the best quality. And if you spend 650 to 750 bucks for this engine with tax, better check the warranty that HF gives you. From that warranty, it sounds like they don't have a whole lot of faith in them either! (90 DAYS)!!!!!!!
A 20 hour break-in period will take up most of that 90 days for most of us.
New Briggs Vanguards give you three years. Kohler and Honda at a minimum give you 1 year!

It's a Wheelhorse Tractor also! Try to keep it Made in America! (But I'm also tempted to try that motor too so this is a "do as I say, not as I do)!  B)

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

The Kohler Twins for JD and possible other tractor manufacturers did not use thrust bearings due to the orientation in the chassis.. An electric PTO would be needed, the same with HF Twin. I believe the Honda engines are manufactured in the USA. 

I think that the HF engines are getting a bad rap just due to the early days. I have yet to see online any negatives concerning the Twin. Other "hobbies" use them as well. Look at the Thai Longtail boats for example. The same engine is used in the largest HF generator now that retails for about 2-1/2 times the engine. That is probably the real consumer here for this engine. I don't think that HF would use an engine of questionable value in a gen set approaching $2K.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

boovuc

I here, (read you), John! But a 3 month warranty????? 700 bucks is 700 bucks and in 4 months if I'm looking at a Penns Cave opening on the side of my Predator block from no fault of my own, well........it's 700 bucks!
Yes and the lack of a thrust bearing is an issue but some Cubs had them. The JD tractors had larger than inch and an eighth cranks so I don't even look at those for possible repower engines.
There are a lot of Magnums out there with low hours and there are lots of parts for them. I just doubt the quality control and tolerances of most China-made engines. And for me, I like USA made or USA assembled components on my Wheelhorses. I love how that C-175 looks with the Predator under the hood and same goes for some Honda GX re-powers on the 520's I've seen. Just my opinion and as I said, the HF engine tempts me with each flyer I get! My biggest issue is it would take me three months to get the HF Predator mounted and ready to run with how little time I have to monkey on these things! 

boomers_influence

club
here is my opinion on these CLONE engines.
if you purchase one you are SUPPORTING a THIEF.
they do not pay any royalties to the company that
they STOLE from.
thank you. boomer

• Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

All  this  considered  maybe  I  start  looking  for  parts to   build  my  m18

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

All  this  considered  maybe  I  start  looking  for  parts to   build  my  m18

If your engine is a Kohler M18 then thats what I would do.

Edited by Wheel-N-It
  • Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

Actually its an onan p218  and  I  think  it  either  just  blew the  head  gasket  or something  worse  on the  back  cylinder  I  think  this  will  be  the  last  straw for  the  onan. Depending on the  cost  either  the  kohler  or a new  something  is going to power my 518h 

Wheel-N-It

Actually its an onan p218  and  I  think  it  either  just  blew the  head  gasket  or something  worse  on the  back  cylinder  I  think  this  will  be  the  last  straw for  the  onan. Depending on the  cost  either  the  kohler  or a new  something  is going to power my 518h

Before I spent the money to repair an Onan, I would repower with something different. Depending on my budget, I would even consider a Kohler M or K 16hp engine.

shallowwatersailor

One brand of small engines made in the USA that is hardly mentioned is Robin Subaru now known as Subaru Industrial Power Products. I have a SP-170 single on my log splitter which has been a very good engine. It never fails to start and has plenty of power. One thing that I prefer about the Subaru is that it uses a timing chain running in oil as opposed to the Honda engines (and assuming the HF Predator engines) using a timing belt running in oil. I'm sure that Honda has done their research but a rubber belt will not last as long as a chain, besides I question the constant oil bath. It could be one reason that they offer a three year to five year Limited Warranty (depending on engine model) to a consumer. 

If one of the Kohler Commands failed on the two air-cooled 5xi that I have, I would look at the possibility of doing a swap to a Subaru. The reason is that I have never seen a decent price for a new/used Command engine.

• Like 1

Red-Bovine

I repowered my 520H with a Honda GX630. Repower,Inc. in Oregon has kits that include the parts to convert. Pricey, but an easy conversion that is Great!!.

Red

BESTDOGEVER

I  have been checking  a lot of those  options  out  but  I  have  a guy  down the road  with  a  418A  for  sale  I  just  wish he wanted to keep the deck and blade. The  engine is real  good  but  the  rest  needs  work but I guess I can always sell off  the attachments  and reduce the cost that way. 

BESTDOGEVER

I'm  thinking that the worst of the swap  with  a  m18  will be the wiring  if anyone has done it  I would be grateful for  any  tips  you can share