Sign in to follow this  
handyman

312-8 wiring help or harness needed

handyman

I just picked up a 312-8. The previous owner was irritated with the warning lights on the dash and wasn't happy with the design of the open terminal strip and small gauge wires so he removed basically everything wiring wise except the heavy gauge battery cables. Then realized he couldn't remember where anything went. I guess at this point, I could find the wiring diagram and start from scratch or hope someone has a harness. I will try to post the model number since I can't seem to figure the Toro site out with the model #'s.

JimD

hi handyman. wish i could help, but all my horses are older. simpler wiring with no bells or whistles :hide: someone here will be able to help though. hang in there. jim.

mcwh1950

i have wiring diagram for a 1989 312

handyman

Smitty, That would help. I know this one has the warning lights in the dash which I am not going to rewire. Just the basics to get it running and have the lights and safety switches work. Thanks.

handyman

Project Update: I received the wiring diagram that mcwh1950 was kind enough to mail (Thanks again Smitty) so I decided it''s time to start the project. It appears I have a different year tractor because some of the wire colors don't match up. At this point, I need the basics to get me going. The Kohler on my tractor is a 12HP. The voltage regulator on the front of the engine sheetmetal has a purple and two white wires. The plug coming out of the backside of the engine is a white, a purple and two reds that go down to the oil level switch. The wiring diagram shows a 5 position switch. Do I power the purple or white?

TT

You either need to find out the ID number or year of manufacture -- or at least tell us if it's a K-301 or an M12 Magnum Kohler engine. (sounds like a Magnum to me)

DO NOT put power to any wires! If it's a Magnum you could fry the ignition coil.

More information, please. :omg:

Bow_Extreme

You will find that many of these tractors don't quite match the wiring diagram. Generally there seems to be a couple variations for each tractor. The basics are usually still the same. Just take it one step, one wire at a time and you shoudl be able to figure it out. I've been thru this on several occasions.

Duff

I'd harken to TT's advice on this - let us know which engine you've got before powering things up. parts can be very expensive! :drool:

JMHO....

Duff :omg:

handyman

It is a Magnum. The sticker is worn off so I can't get a tractor #.