thomas1

42sm01 blade question

thomas1

I have a c-120 with a 42"sd deck, that is due for new blades. The old ones are Oregon, 91-805 on the center spindle and 91-818 on the 2 outer spindles. Can I get away with running the same blades on all 3 spindles, Toro # 106636 or similar?

TIA

Mtn.Brook Hillbilly

TIA,

Not being one to see somebody "hang", I'll try to contribute on this. If I found myself confronted with this I would inspect the current blades relationship as their tips were at their closest distance to one another. If your deck is engineered to have them rotate in a parallel plane, then arrange them in a horizontal line [tip-to-tip]; then you have an idea of your "fudge-factor" and somewhere to go in your parts shopping. Obviously, this process gets more interesting when your deck has been engineered with offset blade positions. By the way, is this current selection of blades you have in use an arrangement you put together? It sounds intriguing. 

thomas1

These were the blades that were on the deck when I purchased it. They are all nearly the same length, at just under 14". Where they vary is in the center holes, the center blade has a round 3/4" hole, while the other two are the rectangular hole (.630x.780 maybe?).

I'm guessing the center spindle was replaced at one time, I would think all the spindles had the same shaft when the deck left the factory.

gwest_ca

These were the blades that were on the deck when I purchased it. They are all nearly the same length, at just under 14". Where they vary is in the center holes, the center blade has a round 3/4" hole, while the other two are the rectangular hole (.630x.780 maybe?).

I'm guessing the center spindle was replaced at one time, I would think all the spindles had the same shaft when the deck left the factory.

Yes a spindle has been replaced. The first replacements used bearings with inch ID's and the last and current design used metric bearings.

You need to use blades that fit the spindle shaft. The 5/8" x 3/4" double-D style can not be torqued tight enough to drive a blade with a 3/4" round hole. Toro's blades come in a 3-blade set so that won't work for you. Napa sells individual blades as do Stens and Oregon as you found out..

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca
  • Like 1

thomas1

Thanks, Garry.