Garland Farms

1054 drive belt tab adjustment - photo request

Garland Farms

My replacement drive belt (TruBlu 3/4" x 82) on my 1054 won't stop when I depress the clutch. I've read the belt 'tabs' play an important role in this process. Can someone PLEASE post a photo of correctly adjusted tabs so I can get this dang grass cut?!

Garland Farms

Thanks. I have this booklet. I guess I need the factory belt. This replacement isn't working, I adjusted like it says, but still won't disengage.

Racinbob

It needs to be a covered belt so it doesn't have so much 'grab'.

• Like 1

Garland Farms

Do you mean I should install the side cover to test it after the adjustments? I haven't done that yet, but I had read that the cover didn't really make a difference on the 1054. But I will try it.

stevasaurus

I would try it with the belt guard on...that may be your issue.  If not, get the right belt from your TORO dealer like Bob said.  :)  You might also try cleaning the grooves in the pulleys with mineral spirits...the belt needs to be able to let loose a little so the trans can come to a stop.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

Garland Farms

So, they still make them? I was under the impression they did not. I will check it out today. Thanks!

Garland Farms

Well, the rear wheels started rubbing the fenders.  I climbed around underneath and realized the whole transmission was just about unbolted from the frame.  I tightened the two lower 9/16 bolts (the upper ones were fine).  When I started it up, it shifted fine.  I realized that with these bolts loose, it effectively made the belt longer because it had a further distance to cover which caused it to keep grabbing - not allowing the transmission to shift.  Problem solved.  It also stiffened up the rear end, so it's not so rocky and soft feeling when driving.
Thanks everyone.  I'm digging this little red monster.