stigofthegarden

B-81 Briggs 8HP - modifying exhaust to make it quieter?

stigofthegarden

Hi All,

My first post after joining the forum. Have spent the past few weeks getting the family owned B-81 (we have had from new) running after it sat in a shed for 20 years.

After a carb refurb, engine and gearbox oil change, some drive pullys replaced and exchanging the original points based ignition with a fully electronic, it is running really well. The paint and decals are all still great so just a good wash and polish was needed.

Now I would like to make the machine a bit quieter when running so I don't have to wear ear defenders and the neighbors are less annoyed.

Has anyone any suggestions on what alternative exhaust could be fitted? Pic attached so you can see there is room for a larger exhaust, a short pipe and silencer would be fine to replace the original box type unit still on the engine.

Am also wondering if there will be engine performance issues if the wrong exhaust is fitted? drop of power for example, not sure what to consider there.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts, experience or guidance on this.

David

1978 B-81.JPG

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum. Very clean tractor.

The four holes around the muffler outlet are for a deflector that can be added and there are a few different designs. Shielding the outlet from the operator makes a huge difference if the exhaust can be deflected without overheating something.

Briggs and Stratton did offer low-tone mufflers for some applications but I don;t know it this application has room for one. You will see it listed in this parts manual item #300 if it is the correct list for your engine.
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/4144-engine-bs-8hp-vs-191707-11xx-om-iplpdf/

Let us know if this is not the correct parts list.

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca

slammer302

i think i have what you need i have a old b-111 with a 11hp briggs and it has the orginal wrap around muffler that is alot bigger than the one you have

slammer302

here is a pic its not the best but you can see the muffler a little

barrys pics 010.jpg

stigofthegarden

Guys, thanks for your feedback

Garry - that's the correct manuals for me, appreciated and will think about the deflector option

Slammer 302 - excellent suggestion, looks like that muffler would fit into a B81 body as your B-111 looks like the same chassis and hood. Do you think that B-111 muffler would fit the B&S 191707 engine? Am I correct in thinking the B-111 has a 252707 engine, same block with a bigger capacity? So the B-111 should just bolt on - in theory.

slammer302

I think it should bolt right on 

Fordiesel69

Operate it for a few years without a muffler, this way when you put the factory one back on it will seem quite!