pacer

Rebuild a K532 --- possible? practical?

pacer

I recently gambled on and brought home a non-running 1979 D-200 with the K532 eng in reasonably decent, original condition ($400). Fuel system was shot, took the carb off and cleaned, rigged up a temporary gas tank and it surprisingly started right up.... but.... after warming up for a couple minutes here comes the smoke! pretty bad too! Needing to check out the Sundstrand and how she drove and run the deck so I backed it out of the shop (cough cough) Well, everything worked amazingly well - Sunstrand good, deck lift good, deck ran nice and smooth, Ross steering tight, good tires, etc and the 532 ran very smooth with no knocking, clatter, banging, it just SMOKED! The right cyl was apparently the culprit - tho a bit hard to tell about the left, but definitely not as bad. So the tractor just might be a keeper if the engine problem can be worked around without getting a ton of money tied up.

Been researching the k532 and prospects for a major rebuild would seem to be a tad difficult. Heres what I have found so far - gasket set and piston & rings are apparently available as they are compatible with the K301?? (is this right?) And I would suppose a person could have the machine work done - crank/boring - IF a rods wernt needed. Besides the probable high cost of this route I am just too dang old to tackle a big, heavy 532 in the hot La summer time!!

OK, heres an alternate plan... The young guy I got the D from Has a complete 532 sitting in the corner (that in hindsight it just may have been there as a replacement in this tractor??:o) This and some misc WH stuff is from his Grandfather who passed and hes trying to get rid of, and, well hes not much up on the value of these pieces and wants a bit too much for most of it. So he knows nothing about the engine, even if it was originally off a horse (its pretty buried behind a bunch of other stuff so couldnt tell much about it) Of course the 532 IS for sale and he wants an 'offer' Offers on some of the other items were turned down pretty quickly, so I am in the dark on this engine - do I take a chance on getting another 'dud', - what would be a fair 'offer' for a 'pig in a poke engine'?

Thoughts and suggestions on this will be much appreciated

D-200 001.JPG

D-200 002.JPG

oliver2-44

Is this the D-200 that was on the Monroe Clist?  i watched it for a while, but it would have been a 20 hr round trip drive for me!  
I hope you can save it, Good Luck!  

pacer

Yes it is, I sure had butterflies in the gut paying $400 for such an unknown. Doubtful  would have either, but it made me have one each of the 'baby' D's (I dont consider the 250)  an Auto 18, a D-160, a D-180, and now a D-200. That means I'm gonna have 2 C-175's and a Frankenstiened? C-161/165/?? for sale soon....

"D"- Man

Not exactly, I do not think the "gasket sets" are compatible with the K301; however, the piston and rings I am pretty sure are.  The head gaskets have a different # of bolt holes.

oliver2-44

PM me when you are ready to sell. i have a 79 -C-161 with good sheet metal and a basket case 16 Kohler and basketcase sundstrand tranaxle. Mine may need to become a parts tractor and I buy something similar running. 
Or, from your frankenstined c-161-165 would you have a rebuildable kohler 16hp, or a 90-1173 sundstrand & transaxle for parts.