jjs

C161 tiler

jjs

Good evening, I have restored a 78 C161, 16hp WH and I have 2 questions- does the tiler attachment work well and if so, where can I find a used one.  I have good welding skills and dont mind a little work, thank you

Racinbob

Tillers work great. Because of their tendency to push the tractor an 8 speed will hold it back better than a hydro. They aren't too hard to find depending where you're at. I don't have a clue where Niskayuna is at.  :)

Racinbob

New York? If I'm right you'll be able to find one.

doc724

Tillers are great, just like Racinbob said.  One note of caution when you are looking for a used one, the tines should NOT be shaped like sharks teeth.  If they are, the times are worn out.  Not that they will not work, just that you cannot till quite as deep.  New tines are SQUARE at the end, so when you are buying a tiller, square-ish is the kind to look for.  I have seen lots of tillers for sale and some are pricy and some of those have worn out tines.  Also, make sure you get everything.  Rock shaft, lift cable, mid tach-a-matic idler, rear hitch (aka a snow plow hitch) and the 141.5 inch belt

jjs

thanks Gents, I saw a couple out there on the web, anywhere from 250-350$, how do I determine if it is compatible with my c161?  thank you

Racinbob

Can you post pictures of it or get the model #?

muz123

The tiller works great, it does bounce crazy on rough ground. Makes the hole tractor shake! Overall its a fun attachment to use!

Thanks, Dave

gwest_ca

Here is a 1980 manual so you can familiarize yourself with how they hook up and all the pieces required. Helps recognize the correct one when it comes along.
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/343-tiller-36in-1980-1982-07-36tl01-ompdf/

Parts list
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/2358-tiller-36in-1980-1982-07-36tl01-tiplpdf/

Garry