Fire_fighter625

308-8 Virgin

Fire_fighter625

Someone gave me a 308-8 today. All original. I immediately brought it home and took the seat and belt guard off after draining oil and gas. The engine almost has a grinding sound but good compression. Smelled like gas was in the oil. Also, engine was slow to trim over, but found the belt to be EXTREMELY tight and I believe it's the wrong one. Took off the air filter and saw oil spot. Original Carlisle tires. Paint is excellent. It's in excellent condition, stickers and all. I really want to restore this. Any help or info? Greencastle, Indiana here. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

can whlvr

nice find,i bought a 86 308-8 brand new and still have her

• Like 1

Ken B

check the crankcase oil level. It is probably over full with fuel due to your carb or fuel pump needing some help. 

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 1

Fire_fighter625

Someone gave me a 1986 308-8 wheel horse that didn't run. Today I drained all of the fluids, pulled and cleaned the carburetor, pulled the gas tank and replaced gas lines and clamps. I pulled the starter and replaced a missing spring under one of the brushes. Re-gapped the spark plug. Reassembled everything and it fired up!! 
Gave it a quick wipe down after taking it for a spin in the rain. I'm excited to degrease and pressure wash the frame! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

boovuc

That is a very nice looking freebie! 

• Like 2

Fire_fighter625

I thought so!! I was so excited. I can't wait to get it all cleaned up. I think someone put to small of a belt on it because the clutch won't stop it and you can't get it into gear without grinding the gears. 

gwest_ca

The belt guard needs to be installed to support the belt when it is slack. Otherwise the belt is too tight at the engine pulley.

Garry

Fire_fighter625

The belt was way to tight. The guard would've made it wen tighter. I removed the old belt and replaced it with the correct belt. Works like a dream, now. The previous owner put a belt on that was so tight, it would let the clutch release, hardly and you could put it in gear due to grinding. That's a really tight belt, when you can't get it to stop spinning. Anyways, the mower is off and running terrific. I removed the deck today to get it going. I'll have her mowing in no time. Just have to find time to work on it, between driving trains.