Ken B

This weekends haul...

Ken B

I did a little horse tradin with my brother for this 165. It cost me an outboard. She's in real nice mostly original shape. Runs real strong full throttle but runs kinda poopy at lower speeds. Here is what previous owners have done to it trying to get it to run right. Flush tank, new fuel lines, brand new carb, new points, coil and condenser. Compression test is good, check valve clearance good. .Its not carb or points settings, they are spot on. All grounds and connections are good. I know this tractor has left more than a few guys scratchin their heads...:scratchead: I haven't had much time to look into it myself...
20150606_124817_zpshozrwjul.jpg

• Like 8

stratostar250

Never had one, but I've always heard that you can't beat the one lung big kohler!  Hopefully you can figure out the rough running problem, but it looks like a real beauty!  No plastic rear fender to break, and those rims look like you could eat off of them! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Ken B

The 16's really do have some nut. Being this one runs rough at idle and slower speeds it will shake your fillings out. Never was a big fan of rubber mounted engines..i think I'm gonna nic name it shake rattle and roll.. But, I do like it!

• Like 3

stevebo

I know one thing on Ken's shopping list at the big show... 

PS I have a minty rear fiberglass seat pan for that tractor. 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

If anyone can figure out the running problem, its you. Will be curious to see what you deduce Sherlock. Looks real nice like all your stuff.

Glenn

• Like 1

AMC RULES
The new fence looks great too Ken.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

slammer302

my dad has one that does the same thing he uses it for mowing duties so it don't see much idle time anyhow ive tried new points condenser and points push rod and new piston rings and rod

Ken B

my dad has one that does the same thing he uses it for mowing duties so it don't see much idle time anyhow ive tried new points condenser and points push rod and new piston rings and rod

​Even the points push rod is new...

slammer302

forgot to say that is a nice 165 Ken!!!

Wheel-N-It
It is a nice 165 Ken. Maybe the K341 need to be replaced with a series2 KT-17. Just a suggestion.................
  • Like 1

Ken B
It is a nice 165 Ken. Maybe the K341 need to be replaced with a series2 KT-17. Just a suggestion.................

​If I had one in stock it would be on there already. I love the 2 cylinders..

Wheel-N-It

LOL, I have all (what I think are ) these great ideas for my C165 Ken, and a series 2 KT-17 transplant is one of them.  Glad to hear you think its a good idea too :)

boovuc

How is the play in the carb's throttle plate? If it's loose, it will act up more on idle than high RPM. I've had a 10 and a 12 K series do just what your 16 is doing.
That is a real nice looking tractor. Congrats! 

• Like 1

squonk

Yes!!!!  a liitle play in the throttle, Higher engine vacuum with the throttle closed more and Bingo! Lean low speed carb conditions. I like it! :):banana-dance:

Retired Wrencher
:USA::wh: very nice tractor. looks like it will be a great worker for a long time. enjoy the ride. Gary B..

Racinbob
:eusa-think: I was thinking the same thing Boo. Then I scrolled back up to confirm it's a new carb. Weird but I'm sure you'll figure it out. 

Ken B

How is the play in the carb's throttle plate? If it's loose, it will act up more on idle than high RPM. I've had a 10 and a 12 K series do just what your 16 is doing.
That is a real nice looking tractor. Congrats! 

​It is a brand new Kohler carb..

whtractors24

been there with this 165 I can tell ya know that the carb has been done. cam is worn were it pushes the point plunger  and its throwing the timing off!