stratostar250

A little parts swapping today!

stratostar250

So, during the winter, I had my 310-8 set up as a plow tractor.  It worked pretty well with no weights (except mine :ychain:) and no chains.  Just Carlisle All Trail tires.  One day, we had about 4 inches, and I was out plowing my driveway, when I started having trouble getting it into gear, and it felt like the brakes were on slightly.  I figured maybe the roll pin had broken on the gear shift, allowing the shaft to move and not click the tractor into gear properly,  So I had drove it back to where I keep it, and it has sat since then.  I did check the roll pin in the shifter though, and it was broken.  This transmission, has whined since day one and it also has a broken axle, but its broken under the hub, and the hub holds it together :laughing-rofl: but because of this,  I shortly after bought a donor tractor with an 8 pinon, to take the transmission from.  Today, I decided to do the swap!  Here are some pictures!  Hope you enjoy!

WP_20150606_003.thumb.jpg.c41519a6d72aef

The following is not supposed to happen.  I don't have any idea what happened.  I don't understand how it was still working!  I'm wayyy too scared to open the transmission :eek::scared-eek:

WP_20150606_004.thumb.jpg.d2b9d7074cc48f

WP_20150606_005.thumb.jpg.c867b0719aa349

Here is the pic of the donor tractor, a 79 C-111

WP_20150606_006.thumb.jpg.fde9fade71d040

Here is after I finally got the new (cough..old..cough) transmission into the tractor!

WP_20150606_007.thumb.jpg.c5e8edd6ec8064

Once I was done, just because I could, I threw on a plastic fender from a C-161 I got off of craigslist onto the tractor, does anyone else like the look of a plastic fender on a 300, 400, or 500 series? because I can tell you I LOVE it! :handgestures-thumbsup:  I really love the look of that fender.  

WP_20150606_008.thumb.jpg.3b1693b8a4799b
These are right after I got the All-Trails mounted back on the 310.  Love these tires.  Nothing but good things to say about them!  

WP_20150606_014.thumb.jpg.a03dde1f5f7550WP_20150606_015.thumb.jpg.7681f2b3f0d187WP_20150606_018.thumb.jpg.c2d97070dfd1aa

Edited by stratostar250
just some wording
  • Like 8

AMC RULES
Nice work Tom... :greetings-clapyellow:
turning into a sea of :wh: red there in the background.    :text-woo:
  • Like 2

Wheel-N-It
Thats a very cool look Tom!
  • Like 1

KC9KAS

It is nice when a plan works out! Good job with the swap.

• Like 1

papaglide

Good job with swap. I do like the look of the plastic fender. 

• Like 1

Tankman

Thanks for posting the pic's. Personally not a fan of plastic but your swap looks great.

Red is for the blood we shed.

• Like 1

stratostar250
Nice work Tom... :greetings-clapyellow:
turning into a sea of :wh: red there in the background.    :text-woo:

​There sure is a lot of red.  I remember the first time I read about the addiction......I laughed, and kept reading.  but it's true, oh so true. :laughing-rofl: I guess you can put me on the list! :teasing-signhere:

Thanks for posting the pic's. Personally not a fan of plastic but your swap looks great.

Red is for the blood we shed.

​I'm not a fan of the fact that it's plastic, I'm afraid every time I get on and off the tractor :scared-notify:, just love the shape and look of the fender, but I totally agree, the red is what is important!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

muz123

Good job with swap, looks great! :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

so, what are you going to do with that other trans.???  Great pictures.  :)

• Like 1

stratostar250

so, what are you going to do with that other trans.???  Great pictures.  :)

​I attached it to the donor tractor, and am trying to sell it as a rolling chassis, I'm sure someone could use some of the parts of the tractor, and it's just so much easier to move the tractor around with wheels!  I was thinking about splitting the transmission and seeing what happened, but I had already split it once, it whined when I bought the tractor, has a cracked axle, and I was able to tell it had been opened before and at least one axle replaced, I felt like it has probably had its use, and it was time to retire it.  I was able to continue driving my 310 after that incident happened, It kinda felt like something was binding on the inside, so I drove it slowly back to its parking spot, but that could have been that dipstick rubbing against the gears.  I think the transmission may still be useable, but not too sure, and I'm not advertising it as working. I was having a problem with the roll pin on the shifter.  The shifter was coming out of its normal position, so worst case scenario, maybe it got stuck in two gears slightly at the same time, if that's possible and so maybe sheared some gear pieces?  

• Like 1