JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

854, sputtering, missing, loosing power????

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ok, heres a new one. Took the 854 out for a spin. After it warms up, maybe drove it about three thousand feet. It starts to sputter, miss, loose power. At one point it shut down, cools off, fires right up. Its got new everything, plug, wire,fuel filter, points, etc. Can someone point me in a direction? Has my a bit stumped,,,,,,,,thanks fellas.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

Racinbob

Sounds like a plugged vent in the gas cap. Loosen the cap and see if that fixes it.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Bob, my cap is new. I thought of that as there is no vent hole in the top. This replacement cap has been used by others on red square. My old cap, I still have it somewhere, would leak gas out from the tank and drench the top........I never could figure how this new cap "let air in". I guess as good a place as any to start. Thanks.

fellas, who has a number on a differant can with the vent hole jn the top.  Big thanks,,,,,,

Glenn

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Here's the new cap. Seems to vent from the underside. I just dropped it to and dented it. Lol...what luck

glen

20150606_144648.jpg

20150606_144622.jpg

Racinbob

That's how that one is designed to work Glen but maybe something is wrong with it that we can't see.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Took it for another three thousande foot run, kept the cap loose as suggested. Same problems. So the cap is ok. will check points and such again, but they were fine. These little gremlin problems are part of the fun.  Sometimes

Glenn

Racinbob

Well nuts! It just couldn't be that simple. My mind is thinking possibly the coil. I've seen them act up when they start getting warm.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

It sounds like it is your coil then.  Trade it with a coil from another horse.  It has something to do with the coil warming up...kills the engine...starts right up after it cools for a few minutes.  :)  Happened on my 857.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Was thinking like you guys said, coil. Who has a number,, might as well get a new one. It has not been replaced. Would feel better just replacing it. I bet you guys are right. 

Glenn

Racinbob

7................oh wait, you meant a part number for the coil. Here's the Kohler numbers 4151921S, 231281S, 231281, 4151921A There might be others as well. 

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thanks bob, just checked flea bay, they want 25 bucks for used with probably problems. I will just get a new one and be done. No sense replacing junk with junk.

Glenn

Racinbob

I definitely agree with that. I hope it solves your problem.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I would swap one first...they are not cheap.  :)

• Like 1

wallfish

Or try a new condenser. I agree with Steve, swap known working parts in there first to prove what the problem is.

• Like 1

squonk

What does your fuel filter look like and how much fuel is in the tank. My 704 Vacuum fuel pump is weak. With a paper fuel filter it has running problems. If I put one of those red Briggs  & Stratton screen filters on and keep the tank over half full, problem seems to go away.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

What does your fuel filter look like and how much fuel is in the tank. My 704 Vacuum fuel pump is weak. With a paper fuel filter it has running problems. If I put one of those red Briggs  & Stratton screen filters on and keep the tank over half full, problem seems to go away.

Mike, funny you mention that. But before I made the thread to ask. I replaced a perfectly good looking clean as could be paper filter with a brand new paper filter. Then I topped off the gas tank, darn near the top. My first things to start trouble shooting.  Checked plug, spark, wire, connections etc. All the easy stuff.  I am on the wave length of coil condenser. Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Glenn

Brian01

Hey, don't mean to intrude or steal a thread, but I am in need of a coil for an HH100 Tecumseh 10hp. If anyone has one they'd sale or know where I can get one that doesn't cost $199.99, I'd appreciate it..thanks

WNYPCRepair

Brian, I searched all over last night for your HH100 coil, the only thing I found was kits to modify it

Brian01

Well, I appreciate the effort anyways..

Coadster32

I agree with Wallfish. A condenser will sometimes do this after it gets all heated up. (Certainly a lot cheaper than a coil)

• Like 1

Brian01

Well mine is not getting fire at all lol, coils gotta be dead

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ok, I just had a opportunity to install the new condenser as suugested. Went for a mile and a half cruise, no sputtering, spitting, miss fireing or anything. Worked like a charm. And was the cheapest thing to try first Big thanks fellas. 

And as a side note, Many months back I asked how you guys do the white paint lettering on the hoods and such, I put the 854 hood on the 520 seat and decided to try out my medium point oil base white sharpie pen, worked great.

so thanks for that tip also.......

Glenn

Brian01

Post some pics!!!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

20150621_194751.jpg

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Sorry its sideways, not sure why that is. But it looks great to me, the finishing touch,,,,,allmost. Forgot, have to do kohler on the engine.

Glenn