Sign in to follow this  
3gen141

Rear hubs

3gen141

I am new to you guys, but have had wheel horses in the family for 3 generations.

I am finally having to do seal maint on a c141 trans but can not get the hubs off.

Can anyone help. :hide:

BPjunk

Jumping a head a little I gather the you have the tire off, the set screw out of the axle hub but the hub will not slide off.

First if you can use compressed air to clean dirt out around the set screw hole then the outer and inner edge of the hub. Now coat with penetrating oil in these three areas. Take a small block of wood and place it up against the hub and then hit the wood with a hammer. If stuck you can try using a small propane torch to heat the shaft area of the hub.

OK Now if the hub is still stuck get a automotive type axle flange puller and bolt it to the hub. Make sure you use some thing in between the pulling tool and the end of the axle to keep from peening the end of the axle shaft. If the axle hub is still not moving use a oxygen/acetylene torch and heat the shaft area while operating the puller.

Be careful not to try hitting the edge of the axle hub flange as it may damage the hub (i.e. crack).

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Teddy da Bear

:hide:

I used a gear puller on my stubborn hubs. And put lubricant on (as wild Bill noted) several days in advance.

I have never broken or cracked a hub. But I would just be careful if doing the thin wall hubs.

Good luck!

sorekiwi

Most of the tips have been covered above.

I usually use a "harmonic balancer puller" to pull them off, I have a cheap one from Horrible Freight thats pulled about 10 now, and hasnt broken yet!

Another thing that works on hubs and steering wheels is to give in a sharp whack further on just to get it moving - once its moved the wrong way, it will normally move the right way a bit easier.

HorseFixer

Now coat with penetrating oil in these three areas.

Be carefull not to try hitting the edge of tha axle hub flange as it may damage the hub (i.e. crack).

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

You can also draw the penetration oil into the hubs with a little heat, the same way you would draw solder in a joint on copper pipe, dont use too much heat just enough to draw in. Good Luck! :hide:

3gen141

Thanks for all the tips!

Now to find out which one works on this machine.

Raider12

I would very carful about giving that hub a bump or a hit to knock it off. I have had these to "pop" the axle out and then you have some work to do get it back in. Giving it a bump to push it further on the axle to first getting it to move is a fine idea, but watch how you remove it. A puller of some sort is always the best idea.

Just my two cents worth.

bambooheels

i always use a air hammer/ hisel. i slide a large bolt on the end, and if you use the impact hammer on the shaft it will literally vibrate that hub right off, clean and safe, no major effort. and for those who are skepticle, ive used this method for years with all sorts of items, o problems ever!!

Rideawaysenior

I have this book on old school tractor restoration, and one old timer suggested for removing stubborn manifold bolts heat and cooling. Well, I tried it on a hub one day and viola, it workd. I used an acetylene torch and heated the bejesus out of the hub from the center out. After about 10 minutes of extreme heat, I dumped a pitcher of cold water on it just like the bood said. I was skeptical too thinking I would crack the hub or axle. Nope. After that I gave a quick shot of PB Blaster and the hub slid right off. Don't use a gear puller, you will wreck the hub. If you are going to use a puller, use a balancer puller or steering wheel puller as previously described. The best method is patience though. I'm sure if you try any of the suggestions here, you'll have success.

bambooheels

rideaway i think you mentioned this before in another thread, i tried that as well, i was skeptical, but it worked, it tokk a few minutes but worked. very impressive.

CasualObserver

If you've got some scrap metal and a welder, you could always do up one of these. This one was made by another member here... thirdroc17. (Dale)

Hubpuller.jpg

Hubpulleron.jpg

bambooheels

now jason that is a great looking set up. who do i contact to get one of those? i always thnk im handy and have good ideas and i love when i see someone elses great ideas put to use. :hide:

CasualObserver

Matt... drop Dale an email... he may have an extra one laying around still. I know he made up a few and sold them to some folks for like $25-30 or so, but I don't know if he has any left or not.