Solex

Wiring Magnum 12 from Magnum 8 Harness & Switch

Solex

I am swapping out the old Magnum 8 for a Magnum 12 in an effort to add a few more ponies in my 308-8.  If possible, I would like to use the current 308 wiring and key switch since it is brand new, but it differs slightly from a Magnum 12 switch. The Magnum 12 engine has a different connector and features a low oil switch.

1. Do I need the low oil switch to run the engine,  or can I disconnect it?
2. Can I just run a jumper cable from the 308-8 harness connector to the Magnum 12 connector?
3. IF I don't use the low oil switch, I have three black wires on the harness side, and only two wires on the Magnum 12 side. The 3 harness black wires have #1, white stripe, #2 blue stripe and #3 green stripe. The engine side has 1 white wire and 1 purple. How do I connect the jumper cables?
4.Do I need to by a Magnum 12 Key switch?

gwest_ca

Can you explain what is different about the ignition switches? Pull the connectors off and compare the terminal identification letters. Looks to me the switches should be the same.

The low oil switch and relay simply interrupts the power going to the solenoid trigger terminal if the oil is low so easy to eliminate.

If you post the both engine spec numbers we can compare the charging systems.

Garry

gwest_ca

Can you explain what is different about the ignition switches? Pull the connectors off and compare the terminal identification letters. Looks to me the switches should be the same.

The low oil switch and relay simply interrupts the power going to the solenoid trigger terminal if the oil is low so easy to eliminate.

If you post the both engine spec numbers we can compare the charging systems.

Garry

Save Old Iron

this may serve to get us a little further along

Kohler M ign wiring.gif

Solex

West_ca:
You are right about the keyswitches, they are the same other than the addition of a ground tab on the 308 switch. Unfortunately I just read the numbers on the Magnum 12 to compare the charging systems engines.

Save  Old Iron:
That answers my question  concerning the white and purple wires. 

One more ore question please,  Do I connect the headlights to the purple stator wire?

Thank You both for your help.

Save Old Iron

headlights are wired off the A" terminal of the ignition switch.

wire "A" to a fuse socket - then to a headlight switch - then out to the headlights

Solex

Thanks again Old Iron.

Save Old Iron

keyswitches, they are the same other than the addition of a ground tab on the 308 switch.

​The keyswitch can be grounded by contact with the grounded metal panel it is attached to
or
by running a wire from the ground tab on the switch to a good chassis ground.

I always liked the wire from the G terminal to a good ground.

Save Old Iron

the ground tab is necessary when the ignition switch is mounted into a plastic dash panel