PaulC

Easy way to center blades on worn spindles

PaulC

I had an unwanted vibration in my 42" sd deck still after installing a new set of blades that I checked and balanced also. I noticed while installing them that the spindle shaft where the blades sits was really worn so the blade could move in all directions at least 1/32 of an inch probably more. I held them as centered as possible and tightened them up but once I got it going it still vibrated quite bad. So I started thinking of a way to hold that blade dead centered while tightening. I ended up deciding to try Teflon tape I had laying around and it ended up working like a charm. I wrapped each spindle just in the worn area until I built it up to be inline with the threads. I slipped the blades on and each one centered perfectly!! Even tried to wiggle and move each one around and they were staying put really well. Tightened everything up and it seemed to make a nice improvement in the vibrations.

I have came across this issue on just about every deck ive owned so im guessing its pretty common. I thought this neat little trick was really easy and worth sharing. If anyone else has this issue give this a shot and let me know if it was as successful as it was for me and also if anyone has done anything else to accomplish this same thing I would like to hear about that as well.

• Like 2

can whlvr

good idea and a way to get more life from the spindles

• Like 1

rick

Wouldn't electrical tape work as well? Especially since the nut should hold the blade in place. Good idea, by the way! I have slop in all my blade spindle interfaces. i will try this next time

• Like 1

PaulC

Wouldn't electrical tape work as well? Especially since the nut should hold the blade in place. Good idea, by the way! I have slop in all my blade spindle interfaces. i will try this next time

​Yes I imagine it would and that was actually my first thought but I keep all my tapes in a drawer together so when I went to go the electrical I saw the Teflon and thought that was even a better choice. The worn area on my spindle shafts was only as wide as the blade so I kind of folded the Teflon to fill in just that area. And like you said once you tighten the nut it holds everything in place. Ive mowed with my deck like this about 3 times now and everything seems to be in place still because its much quieter then it was.

• Like 1

PaulC

So I just swapped around decks and sharpened blades and I can now say this trick I found really works!! I didn't have to retape the first deck I did this too and the blades went on nice and centered still. I taped the spindles on my other deck and it worked great too!!