badhorse800

12 automatic problem

badhorse800

I have a 1973 12 automatic that I recently bought, I needed to move it and i could barely push it, so I opened the screw valve (only about 1/2 a turn) so I could push it, now with the same valve closed it to its original position it is still easyeasy to push, is this normal or did I do something wrong, if so how do I fix it?

1432589994726-825053053.jpg

KC9KAS

Doesn't the tag say "Open valve 1 turn" ?

nylyon

You'll have to get it running to test the trans.  I had a C-120 which behaved similar, and it worked fine.

badhorse800

OK thanks, right now I am figuring out a wiring issue to get it to run, but I am almost don't with that

wheeledhorseman

I have noticed this with my Sundstrand hydros as well. Once you run the hydro afterwards it returns to being 'solid' again but I don't think it is a good idea to push the tractor about with the valve closed again just because you can. I suspect it has to do with releasing some of the oil in the otherwise 'sealed' system that exists between the pump and motor.

badhorse800

Well i kindakinda leaned up against it while I was talking and I almost kinda fell on my butt, I thought with putting the screw back in position it wouldn't move