semperfi8185

655 Won't Move Sometimes

semperfi8185

Sometimes while mowing when i go into reverse or stop and go the clutch and/or transmission fails to re-engage.  Dropping the clutch and pulling on the backside of the clutch pedal does nothing.  If i move the tractor around forward or back seems to be the only thing that works.  Mechanically this is the only thing wrong with it so I want to get it resolved.  Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Greg

squonk

See if you have a rear hub loosening up or a axle key ready to break.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Also, you might want to check the key on the input shaft pulley.

• Like 2

semperfi8185

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll check it out and let you know.

Racinbob

I probably don't need to mention this but include both axle hubs in your check if it's not the input pulley. It only takes one to cause a problem.:)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Along with what was said above...does it shifter feel like the problem.  ie...can you shift it, or do you have to rock it for the shifter to engage the gears.  Does the shifter feel sloppy??  It could be the dog point set screw needs attention or adjusting.  :)

• Like 1

Terry M

Worn and sloppy bearings could cause shafts to move out of alignment things to bind....possibly.  My 606 would "lock-up" and get stuck once in a while shifting before I rebuilt it's 5053 trans.  some of the bearings had lost the rollers completely.  Although it's more likely to be one of the problems mentioned above^^.

Just my 2 cents:)

• Like 2

semperfi8185

My shifter seems to be working correctly.  Occassionally I need to rock in my seat to get the shifter to go home but Im kind of impatient when mowing.  The clutch pedal is coming back until it is pointing towards me.  Is this normal?  I also noticed that the parking brake isn't holding and need to be adjusted.  Could my problem be related to the clutch?

Racinbob

The parking brake won't affect the clutching but it should be adjusted. Having to rock the tractor a little at times is normal. It's hard to say if the clutch is coming back too far without seeing it but that does sound like a long ways. It's possible that your belt is stretched out far enough that the clutch can't tension it properly. The linkage may have hit the limit of it's mechanical movement. I would think that would cause a constant issue but maybe not. I'm thinking I would check/replace the belt, make sure the spring is OK and also the clutch pulley. Make sure you check the drive pulley on the transmission while you have it apart. That may fix it. If not, it's check the hubs time. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

Pullstart

The parking brake won't affect the clutching but it should be adjusted. Having to rock the tractor a little at times is normal. It's hard to say if the clutch is coming back too far without seeing it but that does sound like a long ways. It's possible that your belt is stretched out far enough that the clutch can't tension it properly. The linkage may have hit the limit of it's mechanical movement. I would think that would cause a constant issue but maybe not. I'm thinking I would check/replace the belt, make sure the spring is OK and also the clutch pulley. Make sure you check the drive pulley on the transmission while you have it apart. That may fix it. If not, it's check the hubs time. :)

​yeah i'm no pro but reading along made me keep thinking the belt is loose.  my 502 is starting to have symptoms of a bad belt after plowing and discing the garden this year.

• Like 3

Racinbob

Yup, belts can look OK but that doesn't always mean they are good. When I got my 2005 the clutch pedal was pulsing after I took the damper off (you don't have a damper on yours). The belt looked fine and wasn't t all that old but I replaced it anyways and everything was fine.  :)

• Like 1

roadapples

you can also check the roll pin in the lever at the back end of the clutch rod. happened to me.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

semperfi8185

All great information.  Gonna work on it this weekend.

Thanks
Greg

• Like 1

semperfi8185

Turns out that my drive belt is slipping on and off of the clutch pulley.  Doesn't seem like that should happen so made sure the alignment of the belt guard is positioned correctly and will try not to use too much pedal when using the clutch/brake pedal.  The belt is ok but it but it might be too long gonna pick up a shorter belt and see if that helps.  The belt is nearly touching the guard when not touching the pedal.

Greg 

Edited by semperfi8185
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Do you know the size of the belt that should be on there.  Without looking, I think it should be 72' x 1/2".  Not positive.  See what the belt you have measures, it does sound like it is long.  Just know that it does not take a lot to make a difference...one inch could be what you need...maybe a half.  I think I would take some rope clothes line and hold the tension pulley where you think it should be and measure that.  Unless you haul the horse to your favorite dealer and they let you experiment with belts.  :)  Can't believe you are still messing with this.  I just went through this with my PTO to mower belt.  1/2" x 28".  but nobody had one is stock...bought a 29" ...to slack.  I finally found one, and I repeat....One at TSC.  tuff day.  :)

• Like 1

DennisThornton

My C-81 would do that under heavier than normal load.  Key on one axle had slip out and when that axle spun it bit I lost drive.  Then it would catch and move again.  Temporarily baffling but an easy fix after realizing what was wrong!

Fingers crossed for you!

• Like 2