Sign in to follow this  
2bcross3

M12 dumping fuel out

2bcross3

Was riding along today and hit a few bumps and the engines dies out. Wouldn't restart. Pushed it inside smelling fuel and found the air filter soaked with fuel. It's an 1987 312-8 with the kohler M12. Now I can start it but will barely idle with a ton of black soot coming out of the exhaust. When I shut it off fuel actually pours out of the air intake. Any ideas?

oldredrider

Stuck float in the carb. Time for a good cleaning.

2bcross3

That seems to have been the problem. She's running again. Wasn't dirty inside but something made it stick.

rmaynard

I have found that new rebuild kits coming from China are notorious for sticking float valves. I don't know what the answer is since even Kohler brand kits are now made in China.  :scratchead:

• Like 1

boovuc

Those rebuild kits don't have to be that new. I bought a kit off Ebay instead of NAPA 5 years ago and out poured the fuel after a week of use. I changed the fuel filter before I installed the kit. That kit is still in there but I adjusted the float tighter in tolerance than recommended by the piece of paper that came with it. 

MalMac

I have found the samething. Even OEM carb kits have not been up to the normal standards. On both aftermarket and OEM I have found very poor quality with the floats. Both plastic and the brass ones.