Sign in to follow this  
jeremi3210

rj58 trans fluid capacity?

jeremi3210

Hello I just picked up my first rj58 and I want to change the trans oil but the check plug on the right side don't want to come out. Anyway I am asking if anyone knows how much oil goes in these transmissions. Thanks in advance.

stevasaurus

What do you mean, the plug doesn't want to come out??  How are you going to know how much oil to put in if you do not pull that plug??  If the transmission is dry it takes about 3 pints of 90 wt oil.  You can drain that 3 piece transmission by pulling out one of the back lower trans plate bolts...I would pull the back lower left.  You fill until the oil starts to run out that hole of the plug you need to take out.  :)

jeremi3210

Thanks for the reply. Finally got the plug out. Someone rounded it off at some point and brazed a nut on it and when I tried to turn it it felt like it was twisting off. Anyway that plug will not be put back in. And good news no water at all in the trans.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Excellent, you can get those plugs at ACE, TSC, TORO.  :)  It will take about 3 pints, if you get it all drained out.

• Like 1