Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

new tires

dgjks6

My 20 year old tires or about worn completely - so I am going to get new ones.

A quick question

Can I go to 8 inch rims up front and still use my 37 inch deck. I have read posts both ways - does anyone have htis set up?

Butch

You have to change the spindles to allow for the larger tire diameter to

get the tractor to sit level. The 400 Series tractors are the spindles you want. Wheel Horse had a wheel/spindle kit for this conversion which wasn't cheap. Some people on here will have some to sell or maybe make a trade. You also find them on Ebay from time to time. I'm in the process of doing the same thing.

Butch

Sparky

Swapping out the 6" rims to 8" rims/tires will give you a problem with the front wheel hitting the deck (cant remember which wheel :hide: ). Swapping out the spindles will only keep the tractor level but will not get rid of the front tire hitting the deck.

Mike.........

stevebo

If you are interested, i have a nice set of turf tires size 16x6.50-8 no rims. they are like new however i was given a different set i put on. thanks- steve

Butch

Swapping out the 6" rims to 8" rims/tires will give you a problem with the front wheel hitting the deck (cant remember which wheel :hide: ). Swapping out the spindles will only keep the tractor level but will not get rid of the front tire hitting the deck.

Mike.........

Do you know if it hits quick or only when the wheel is turned to the furthest point?

Butch

Sparky

Only when turned fully.

Mike......

mike_1951

I have two 312-8s switched to 8" tires on both ,just used spindles from a late 70s c series tractor works great with a 42" deck

Sparky

The only deck that will give you problems is the 37" SD deck. All the others work just fine with 8" front rims/tires.

Mike..........

Docwheelhorse

It will jam the tire (left or drivers side) before it is turned all the way---only when using the 37" deck. I made this swap and occasionally it jams and you have to back up to get the wheel un-stuck (or twist the steering wheel like your trying to break something... :hide: ) It doesn't happen every time---it seems to happen when the deck on the left side is riding high on un-even grond when you go to turn. Personally I like the 6" spindles with the 8" rims as it makes the nose sit higher...... I haven't had any deck level or cutting complaints beyond the stuck tire now and then. Generally if the front rims are 6" the back tires will be 22" and you need to change them to 23"---maybe this is why I haven't had a leveling problem as I swapped out both sets of tires not just the fronts.

Tony