redhead

electrical Short

redhead

was mowing lawn with WH and ran fine, got done and shut down to clean up and put away for next time, and tried to start it, but it would not start, just verly rolled over . Raised hood back up, and tried again to see if I could see any thing wrong. After turning key to start position smoke was coming off of throttle cable and oil fill tube. the throttle cable was hot enough to burn my fingers. now my question is what to check for, it still will not start, just goes umph. Did I burn something up? I am not real good on electric, but if some one can point me in direction and sequence to check things out, and how,  I would app. it.:confusion-helpsos: THANKS

Racinbob

Please post the model of your tractor. There's probably a wiring diagram for it here. Shooting from the hip I'm thinking you might have a bad ground to the motor or your throttle cable got against the + battery terminal.:)

groundhog47

Not to be sarcastic but what was/is oil level? Have you blown or cleared out blower screen and fins? Sounds like an engine overheat prob, from melting sheath when touching fill tube, which low oil and/or low air flow would cause. Of course battery and all connections condition could cause 'the umph" to starter as well as connections from generator to maintain proper "starting charge" level, but shouldn't cause the "HOT" condition that melts plastic sheath. "Have a great day every day." 
Now, if throttle cable is bare not plastic sheathed it could be touching a conection (not ground) and when touches fill tube give a path to ground as well as where it is attached to dash, not as likely but not impossible either.

Edited by groundhog47
Add thought on bare sheathed cable

redhead

Please post the model of your tractor. There's probably a wiring diagram for it here. Shooting from the hip I'm thinking you might have a bad ground to the motor or your throttle cable got against the + battery terminal.:)

​it is a c-141-14HP and no the throttle cable was not against the BATTERY TERMINAL

redhead

Not to be sarcastic but what was/is oil level? Have you blown or cleared out blower screen and fins? Sounds like an engine overheat prob, from melting sheath when touching fill tube, which low oil and/or low air flow would cause. Of course battery and all connections condition could cause 'the umph" to starter as well as connections from generator to maintain proper "starting charge" level, but shouldn't cause the "HOT" condition that melts plastic sheath. "Have a great day every day." 

​OIL LEVEL OK,  after each use I blow out screen with air compressor,  motor didn't seem hot

• Like 1

Racinbob

I believe your C-141 has the wobble mount motor. It needs a ground cable from the motor to the frame 'jumping' the rubber isolators. Check that ground. Make sure the ends are clean and making a good connection.

Save Old Iron

+1 on Bob's comment above.

The electrical system is using the metal sheath of the throttle control as a (rather poor) ground wire from the engine to the chassis.

Check the ground strap from the engine / oil pan to the tractor frame.

Edited by Save Old Iron

buckrancher

+1 on Bob's comment above.

The electrical system is using the metal sheath of the throttle control as a (rather poor) ground wire from the engine to the chassis.

Check the ground strap from the engine / oil pan to the tractor frame.

:thumbs:

Racinbob

Perzackly. A bad ground often does crazy things. A throttle or choke cable never makes for a good ground.:)

boovuc

Yupper! My cradled KT17 in the C-175 decided to ground through the PTO lever/rod. I smelled something hot and it wasn't running right and I touched that rod and felt like I held a lit cigarette. 
Cleaned the ground wire up and it was fine! They will do crazy things!

• Like 1

redhead

I believe your C-141 has the wobble mount motor. It needs a ground cable from the motor to the frame 'jumping' the rubber isolators. Check that ground. Make sure the ends are clean and making a good connection.

​you was right, I found ground cable broke into. Replaced and started and ran fine THANKS for your help

• Like 1

redhead

Yupper! My cradled KT17 in the C-175 decided to ground through the PTO lever/rod. I smelled something hot and it wasn't running right and I touched that rod and felt like I held a lit cigarette. 
Cleaned the ground wire up and it was fine! They will do crazy things!

​Ground wire was broke into THANKS for help

Racinbob

Outstanding!  Glad it turned out that simple.