RedRanger

What's wrong with this Picture? 401 Suburban

RedRanger

Here's a pic of a 401 cast pedal. That pedal isn't an RJ pedal either. The RJ has a small tab welded on it for the rod connection which is above the foot peg and pulls on the rod vs pushing it, plus does not have anything below the foot peg.

I'm going out on a limb and saying both the pedal and hood stand are homemade by a good craftsman.

The more I look at the brake/clutch pedal, I agree.  I think somebody made it.  You may be right on the hood stand too.

But why would they go through all of that effort?  Wish these things could talk.  What's the story?

• Like 1

fireman

Good catch John! I missed that about the pedal. The picture Steve posted above of the 401 shows what looks like the same hood stand as what yours does. I guess will never know unless the guy who last owned it does or someone else.

RedRanger

Good catch John! I missed that about the pedal. The picture Steve posted above of the 401 shows what looks like the same hood stand as what yours does. I guess will never know unless the guy who last owned it does or someone else.

It's been bought and flipped a few times since it was redone.  Don't know the history unless someone here recognizes it.

wallfish

I don't believe it hurts the value that much since it wasn't hacked. Parts can be found to make it completely original if desired. I kind of like that hood stand since it makes it MUCH easier to work on the carb and change the filter.

I might have a cast pedal if you're interested. Let me know.

RedRanger

I don't believe it hurts the value that much since it wasn't hacked. Parts can be found to make it completely original if desired. I kind of like that hood stand since it makes it MUCH easier to work on the carb and change the filter.

I might have a cast pedal if you're interested. Let me know.

I agree.

Send me a pm if you have a pedal.  I could go either way.  Thanks.

Unless someone knew the difference, the hood stand is unoticable.

RedRanger

I've now communicated with the previous owner to the previous owner.  This takes the history back about 8 years.

He bought the tractor "as is" at a consignment auction.  No idea on the history or who the owner was at that time.

Dead end.