RedRanger

What's wrong with this Picture? 401 Suburban

RedRanger

Just purchased this 401 from a fellow RS member.  It's a nice, complete tractor with a previous rattle can paint job.  Very solid straight tractor and runs good too.

My plan is to disassemble and do a quality paint job on this one.

I have a few questions though.

Can you pick out what doesn't match the rest?  I believe there are at least two things.

The trans is dated as a 1961, the engine serial numbers match up with approximately a 1961, and the hood is definitely a 1961, but a few other things just aren't right.

post-14487-0-10010600-1431612196_thumb.jpost-14487-0-02177000-1431612212_thumb.jpost-14487-0-58403100-1431612238_thumb.jpost-14487-0-81112300-1431612257_thumb.j

I also noticed the front rims don't match each other.  The offsets are reversed.  Were there different offsets on these earlier models and maybe mine are mix-matched or did one of them just get drilled for the stem on the wrong side?

I also need the outer drive pulley to run the deck as well as the pivot pin for the hitch if anyone has these.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I dont know about the differances. I think its nice as is. Best of luck and thanks for sharing.

Glenn

• Like 1

fireman

The center hood stand is from a 551. The 551 should not have the three piece transmission. It should be the two piece. The 401 had a solid sheet metal type center hood stand. The 551 had a electric start 5.5 horse Tecumseh engine. The 401 had a K91 Kohler. The clutch/brake pedal is a 401 style. Looks like it's pretty much a 401 with the wrong center hood stand as far as I can tell.

• Like 2

Coadster32

From what I can see...Jeff hit the nail on the head.  

Nice tractor either way.

Edited by Coadster32
  • Like 1

RedRanger

The center hood stand is from a 551. The 551 should not have the three piece transmission. It should be the two piece. The 401 had a solid sheet metal type center hood stand. The 551 had a electric start 5.5 horse Tecumseh engine. The 401 had a K91 Kohler. The clutch/brake pedal is a 401 style. Looks like it's pretty much a 401 with the wrong center hood stand as far as I can tell.

Well, the hood stand is definitely not correct.  From my understanding it should be stamped steel.

It does resemble a 551 stand, but the 551 stands that I've seen also have a "cut out" in the right hand side to set the battery on top of the frame.  This one does not have that and shows no sign of being modified.

post-14487-0-96345200-1431627385_thumb.j

I've also read that the 550 had the battery under the seat and the 551 had the battery up front.  Did the 550 use a stamped hood stand, same as a 400, or a flat stock stand specific to the 550?

Maybe that's what I have???  The manuals page for the 400/550 show the same part number for both tractors.

Mine has a RJ style, although it does not go down along the side of the frame like a RJ.

post-14487-0-49965000-1431627411_thumb.j

This one sits on top of the frame and bolts down like a 401/551 would

post-14487-0-59816100-1431627462_thumb.j

This hood stand looks exactly like a 551 up under the hood, but the bottom doesn't match.  It also doesn't match a RJ.  I can't figure out what it is????   :eusa-think:

And it's definitely not home-made.  It looks 100% factory made.

What is it from????  Anybody know?

As for the pedal, did you mean to say it is a 400 style?  It also looks like a 400 or RJ flat stock style.  I thought the 401/551 had a cast iron pedal?

I originally thought this was a complete tractor, now I'm wondering if it wasn't pieced together out of parts??

stevasaurus

As long as you think it is a fixed up parts Horse, you might not mind making your own hitch pin.  It is just bar stock with a groove on each end for a "C" clip.  :bow-blue:   BTW, I think you have a very nice looking horse there.  :)

• Like 3

RedRanger

As long as you think it is a fixed up parts Horse, you might not mind making your own hitch pin.  It is just bar stock with a groove on each end for a "C" clip.  :bow-blue:   BTW, I think you have a very nice looking horse there.  :)

Thanks.  I'm not putting down the tractor, it's very nice I agree.  Just wondering what that hood stand is from.

I do have a pin from a 856 that I can cut down, just don't have a way of milling the fine groove for the clips.  Guess I could drill both ends for cotter pins?

stevasaurus

I have done this with a good hack saw blade and the stock in a vise...the saw cut is perfect.  :)

• Like 1

RedRanger

I have done this with a good hack saw blade and the stock in a vise...the saw cut is perfect.  :)

I think I'll try that.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

Anybody got the engine drive pulley to run accessories?

stevasaurus

Send a PM to Buckrancher...he just might have a double stainless for you.  :)  I've got an old double out in the garage, but I am not sure about the shaft size. 
What size is on that Kohler??

Jake Kuhn

Looks like a nice tractor, as mentioned jeff got most everything, the only thing else I noticed is clutch pedal is incorrect for a 401, it should have a cast iron pedal on it, sorry I don't have a picture of one, heat sheld also looks like it may be homemade, but it looks good on there, just depends on how picky you are. But otherwise looks pretty complete.

857 horse

I AM PLANNING TO GO TO THE BIG SHOW...

I AM BRINGING MY 401..

A FEW THINGS I NOTICED ON MINE...

8 SPEED TRANSMISSION...23X10.50X12 REAR TIRES ON 10" WHEELS....

2 HP BRIGGS.....WRONG FRONT RIMS,,,,WRONG HOOD....

THIS WAS MY FIRST WHEEL HORSE,,,I NEVER SAW ONE BEFORE....PUT IT TOGETHER

BEFORE I CAME TO MY FIRST SHOW....I EVEN MADE A BRACKET TO ADAPT THE TRANS TO THE 401 FRAME

HOWEVER,,,IT IS SHINEY,,,IT IS A HORSE,

,,,,REMEMBER,,,IT SHOULD BE FUN

SEE YOU AT THE SHOW

• Like 4

Racinbob

Sounds interesting 857. You're right. It's a horse and the show will be fun.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Send a PM to Buckrancher...he just might have a double stainless for you.  :)  I've got an old double out in the garage, but I am not sure about the shaft size. 

What size is on that Kohler??

3/4" bore on those Steve.

squonk

You can also get a pulley at TSC or any electric motor supply store. My RJ has a Browning pulley. I just painted it

post-2380-0-57660500-1431681075_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Coadster32

I do know the 551 has the casted pedal, but not sure about the 401.

RedRanger

You can also get a pulley at TSC or any electric motor supply store. My RJ has a Browning pulley. I just painted it

Beautiful tractor there squonk!

What size pulley do we need?  3/4 bore and about 2 1/2 inch od?

I've got the original deck in pieces to reassemble, but I'll post those questions over in the implement section.

So nobody is clear on what hood stand I have?

fireman

I stand corrected about the clutch/brake pedal. That one is from an RJ58/59. It should be a cast one. The other odd thing I just noticed is in the fourth picture. If you look at the cut out in the tool box, it looks like the cast housing of the transmission has a hump in the casting. I've never seen this on any other three piece transmission. Perhaps you have some sort of  prototype they were working on and just used some leftover parts to build it. Would make sense seeing as the mid hood stand is something I haven't seen without the battery location in it. 

Edited by fireman

RedRanger

I stand corrected about the clutch/brake pedal. That one is from an RJ58/59. It should be a cast one. The other odd thing I just noticed is in the fourth picture. If you look at the cut out in the tool box, it looks like the cast housing of the transmission has a hump in the casting. I've never seen this on any other three piece transmission. Perhaps you have some sort of  prototype they were working on and just used some leftover parts to build it. Would make sense seeing as the mid hood stand is something I haven't seen without the battery location in it. 

I'll look closer at the trans casting and get a better pic.

Racinbob

That's what I was thinking about the pedals too but I'm really going by pictures in the gallery here. I don't think that is a hump fireman. That is. if you're talking about the tool box cut out for the lift cable. Goofy light reflection but it sure does look like a hump. You had me going out to look at mine again. :)

squonk

Yes, that is the lift cable cut out. Optical illusion

RedRanger

Guess my tractor is not that rare unicorn then.  lol

fireman

Your right! I just imported the picture and changed the shading and it is an optical illusion. I guess the only odd thing left is the mid hood stand. I looked through the parts drawing from the years surrounding the 401 and can't find one similar. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Here is a picture of 857 horse's (Howard) 401 with the 8 speed transmission.

20140626_185236_zps949c10ff.jpg

• Like 2

wallfish

Here's a pic of a 401 cast pedal. That pedal isn't an RJ pedal either. The RJ has a small tab welded on it for the rod connection which is above the foot peg and pulls on the rod vs pushing it, plus does not have anything below the foot peg.

I'm going out on a limb and saying both the pedal and hood stand are homemade by a good craftsman.

post-658-0-64394500-1431708067_thumb.jpg

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1